3g plants-only tank (no animals) - What is my water-change schedule?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 2, 2002
New York
I agree with the loach. Trying to do a high tech type planted tank in such a small space will be difficult at best. Bear in mind that the size of the tank vs. how much water it will actually hold are two different things. One doesn't fill a tank to the top of the glass/rim. Then decor from substrate to rocks etc. all displace water which reduces the amount a tank holds. The point is the less water the harder it becomes to dose needed chemicals such as ferts accurately.

I gave up my 50 gal. high tech tank with pressurized co2 after about a decade. I finally realized this tank took more of my time to maintain due to the plants than several of my other tanks combined. I have come to love low tech planted- looks nice, works great, costs less and is much less work to maintain.

The other thing is co2 added high light tanks are the hardest to do. Starting out with one as a early or first planted tank is like trying to learn to drive in a race car. :) There is a learning curve in keeping aqquatic plants just like most everything in life.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
I see you're an AC "old timer" like me & many others. It's funny how everything can change for us over the years isn't it?
Yes! This site was a lifesaver when I was suddenly "gifted" tanks from a friend many years ago and had no idea what I was doing. But I got completely hooked. Then I moved from Hawai‘i to Iowa about ten years ago, broke down my tanks, rehomed my fish, and swore I'd never have any more. I remember being in Honolulu and reading horror stories about people in the midwest in the winter, trying to keep their tanks heated when the power went out. But.....here I am again! At least plants will survive a short power outage ?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
The other thing is co2 added high light tanks are the hardest to do. Starting out with one as a early or first planted tank is like trying to learn to drive in a race car.
That is a good analogy too, similar to mine I often say a high light/co2 tank is like racing a formula 1 car, where as a low light/tech tank is more like a stroll in the park. And you are right the smaller the tank the more difficult it gets, a 3 gallon hi tech would probably need daily maintenance and pruning. 10 gal would already be difficult. I no longer do it, low light with the right conditions and plants give plenty of growth.

I remember being in Honolulu and reading horror stories about people in the midwest in the winter, trying to keep their tanks heated when the power went out. But.....here I am again! At least plants will survive a short power outage
There are subtropical and temperate fish that'll easily survive power outages... especially with temperate/native fish... you'll be cold long long before they do ;)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm originally a Midwesterner, I'm sure that was a tough transition for you. I have gone the other way, from MI to the East coast (DE then MA) & now California, a plant club & solar panels (ahh). You can keep "some" fish in any climate but not in your tiny tank, a couple shrimp OR small snails at most. If you get a chance check out native darters for when you "need" a bigger tank & some cool hardy animals. But many tropical fish can survive short power outages, some barbs & corydoras come to mind...Most of my fish, including more tropical 1s were fine with a fireplace (or wood stove) for 5 days or so...but that's not what you have now, plants are much more adaptable for temp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store