3g tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Native American

Just Another Flying Fish
Apr 25, 2005
Altus, OK
I've been keeping a pair of Eclipse 3 gallon tanks for over a year for tossing in the occasional gravid ghost shrimp. I have sponge filters over the filter inlets, and they're covered with pantyhose to keep the newly hatched shrimp safe. No substrate.

My observations:

1.) Plants: I just keep Java Moss in them, and it grows like a champ when the shrimp are in there, and I'm doing small daily feedings. When I remove the juvenile shrimp to a bigger tank (after they've grown a bit), the Java Moss remains static (no extra food input).

2.) Temperature: Hard to control in this small of a tank with a sealed hood and light system (it gets a bit warm, can't get it below 82F).

3.) Stability: The plants help a lot. If I'm doing feeding (introducing nutrients into the water column indirectly through waste production by the occupants), I end up having to trim back the Java Moss regularly. This is good for nitrate control.

As I've learned from everybody else on this forum, you work harder to maintain stability of water parameters due to the small size of these tanks . I'd still get a 10-gallon kit from Wal-Mart for that Betta. That's where my son's Betta lives.

v/r, OF

_newbie_

AC Members
Jul 26, 2006
New Zealand
ok latest update. ive decided not to use it as a QT tank but to aquascape it instead. its home to buggy the blackmoor. he was rescued after he was attacked by a 6" comet and got his fins torn up. noone (ie lfs) will take him because of his damaged fins so he might get the 10g to himself till he heals up.

im importing a nano filter.
i managed to find some freshwater shrimp on trademe. theyre scuttling around the tank. its funny watching peoples faces :eek: :thud: when they spot them.
ive put in some dwarf sag grass.
java moss is on the way.
i have a couple of plants that need identifying though. will post pics soonish.

i hope im doing ok.

Last edited:

kjr928

Go fish yourself.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

This is the funniest thread I've ever seen!!!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store