4 days into fishless cycle and no nitrites

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ClimbAZ527

AC Members
Sep 26, 2003
Tempe, AZ
Visit site
I'm not getting a single nitrite reading. Does it usually take more than 4 days for nitrites to appear on a test? I think my ammonia levels are good, but do you think I should drain my tank and start over again from scratch using the 4 to 5 drops per 10 gallons?

-Heath-

fishypoo2

Editor of Tropical Fish Monthly
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
No need to drain the tank and start over. In my mind, cycling can get over-rated, but, it is still a very important step in setting up an aquarium and should be done correctly. Generally, when I cycle a tank, I fill the tank with water, add the decorations and equipment and then get the filters/heaters running. Then, I wait a few days until the media in your filter (the sponges, specifically) start to "gunk up," or show signs of turning brown. This indicates that nitrifying bacteria are growing in the tank. One or two days after this, you may begin to add fish, but slowly, if you add them all at once then it may overrun the system and harm the fish. You need to allow the bacteria time to adjust to the growing levels of nutrients.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
If you're doing a fishless cycle and you didn't innoculate the tank with bacteria (i.e., squeezings from used filter media, some gravel from an established tank), you won't see nitrite for a week or two. You should keep the tank dosed at 3-5 ppm of ammonia; if you don't have fish, you can crank up the heat to 85 degrees F or so. That will speed things up a bit.

Many people who cycle fishlessly find that the entire process takes 3-4 weeks, about half of that time is how long it will take nitrites to arrive.

Good for you for cycling without fish! This part is hard for many people, but just think of how you're saving your fish from gill burns from ammonia.

If you have other questions about fishless cycling, ask here and we'll be glad to help if we can.

Jim

ClimbAZ527

AC Members
Sep 26, 2003
Tempe, AZ
Visit site
buying a bacterial colony starter from PetsMart

Do those bacterial colonies in a bottle that you can buy from pet stores, like PetsMart, actually help speed up the cycle?

pharoh08

AC Members
Oct 4, 2003
pa
Visit site
they dont speed up the cycle anymore than some gravel from a old tank will, ive used it before and i cant say i was satisfies, plus sometimes using that will make the colony go out of control. simple fish food can be used to start a cycle wich is what i do , cause its easier.

rich

AC Members
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
ive neverised biospira but all things ive heard regrding it are positive so if your feeling impatient pick up some of that and you if it works youll jump start the cycle. the biospira will still need an ammonia source for the bacteria to feed from so either have some ammonia ready or a few fish.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
If you use BioSpira, follow directions

It says to use and then stock the next day, I believe. I've read of problems if you try to use ammonia instead of adding the fish.

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
What you need is something you can't buy in a store. That is PATIENCE.:D I know that when you have a tank that is setup and you start getting antsy for it to hurry.

I have tried the over the counter stuff a few years back and it didn't help much or if at all. If you have a tank that is already setup you can add some gravel from that tank or some floss from it's filter. If you don't have a tank that is already cycled, you can sometimes ask your lfs for some floss or gravel from one of their tanks.

Hope this helps,

Dave

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
BioSpira is new and the reports I've seen look very promising. (Still not available locally, so I haven't tried it myself.) Other stuff, like Cycle or StressZyme, are junk, and should be avoided.

Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store