4 gallon nano centerpiece fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
probably can't/ shouldn't be done,but will ask anyway.i have 2 nerites,1 oto and an rcs in an open top 4 gallon nano with a fluval 106 cannister.it is heavily planted with sunset hygro,java fern,wysteria and a marimo. is there a solitary fish i could use for the set up?would a sparkling gourami or scarlet badis work. i don't really want another betta. thanks

Last edited:

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
You're on the wrong forum to get suggestions on this post ;) but if you feel you can do it responsibly, give it a go!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You can likely have a moderator move the thread for you...

if it weren't for the shrimp and snails, I'd have suggested a dwarf puffer.

You might find a Scarlet badis to be difficult to feed, and they might pick at the shrimp too.

have you considered one of the smaller killifish?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I think they should work...

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
whoops! you are right,this isn't general freshwater. my apologies.
Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. I just meant that this is a very conservative aquarist community where the general consensus on a 4g is likely to be that it's too small.

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
I am curious to know how the oto is doing in such a small area with no friends?

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. I just meant that this is a very conservative aquarist community where the general consensus on a 4g is likely to be that it's too small.
There are plenty of fish that are appropriate for a 4g aquarium. like the 3 goldies pictured on the box.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't say that a small tank is ideal for a beginner, but I don't think it's so difficult if a sensible stock is decided.

I don't think the 2 fish initially listed as suggestions would be a bad choice for a tank this size, the extra volume offered by the filter and plumbing, and the heavy planting with fast growing plants (at least the hygro) should offset a good amount of the bioload. I don't think anyone ever accused an oto, or a couple of snails of crowding a tank.

my personal preference is for single species tanks, or largish schools rather than a single centerpiece, but there are hundreds of aquatic species that would do fine in a tank this size.

there are plenty of people selling nano fish, the vast majority of them will be happy to answer questions about them, including advice on what would work in your current setup.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store