4 Newbie Questions which will probably lead to more. :D

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CGXterra

Registered Member
Aug 9, 2009
Hi. I have searched around and can't seem to find the answers to my rather unique situation.

I live in a remote city in Alaska and I'm 6 hours away from the nearest pet store...I'm not exaggerating. I just filled my tank today. Here are the stats. Please forgive my non-use of official terms...I've had tanks on and off for my whole life and I just don't remember what all the parts are called. :)

80 Gallon Fresh Water
4 plastic logs, two with fake plants.
3 free standing fake plants
1 real sea-shell (been in the tank from the last time I ran it with fresh water)
1 rock...just a rock we found many years ago and we both like it. :D
100 lbs of blue rock.
1 heater
2 filters. (Not sure what kind they are...we bought them years ago). They hang on the back of the tank with tube into the tank, suck the water up, it goes through a blue filter with charcoal in it, then through another filter and then back into the tank. :) Official enough? :huh:
1 4' flourescent light.

I accidentally bought a salt water test kit and was wondering if that can be used to test the water since I can't get another kit until next week.

Also, I don't have any fish in the tank and I think that the fishless cycle is the thing to do because I won't be able to add fish until next week even if I wanted to...or should I pick up some of the heartier fish I've read about?

What can I do to the tank in one week that might increase the odds that I won't send a bunch of innocent fishies to their death?

For water changes, can I use tap water? The tap water here is super cold, so I intend to set the water out into a bucket inside the house to let it get to room temp before doing any water changes, but distilled water is hard to find and expensive for major water changes.

I know, I know...lots of questions. I promise to try and be the first to answer the next newb's questions if I see them after my tank is established and I'm an old pro at this. :)

Thank you in advance and if you need any further info I'd be happy to provide it.

Ed

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
Hi. I have searched around and can't seem to find the answers to my rather unique situation.

I live in a remote city in Alaska and I'm 6 hours away from the nearest pet store...I'm not exaggerating. I just filled my tank today. Here are the stats. Please forgive my non-use of official terms...I've had tanks on and off for my whole life and I just don't remember what all the parts are called. :)

80 Gallon Fresh Water
4 plastic logs, two with fake plants.
3 free standing fake plants
1 real sea-shell (been in the tank from the last time I ran it with fresh water)
1 rock...just a rock we found many years ago and we both like it. :D
100 lbs of blue rock.
1 heater
2 filters. (Not sure what kind they are...we bought them years ago). They hang on the back of the tank with tube into the tank, suck the water up, it goes through a blue filter with charcoal in it, then through another filter and then back into the tank. :) Official enough? :huh:
1 4' flourescent light.

I accidentally bought a salt water test kit and was wondering if that can be used to test the water since I can't get another kit until next week.

Also, I don't have any fish in the tank and I think that the fishless cycle is the thing to do because I won't be able to add fish until next week even if I wanted to...or should I pick up some of the heartier fish I've read about?

What can I do to the tank in one week that might increase the odds that I won't send a bunch of innocent fishies to their death?

For water changes, can I use tap water? The tap water here is super cold, so I intend to set the water out into a bucket inside the house to let it get to room temp before doing any water changes, but distilled water is hard to find and expensive for major water changes.

I know, I know...lots of questions. I promise to try and be the first to answer the next newb's questions if I see them after my tank is established and I'm an old pro at this. :)

Thank you in advance and if you need any further info I'd be happy to provide it.

Ed
Filters sound like Aquatech HOB filters. very common. I wouldnt use the saltwater testing kit, you never know if they will take it back if you use it... and too expensive to buy 2. I would go with a fishless cycle. Right now I am doing one... and im excited. Gives you time to thouroughly consider tank residents, plus you can fully stock it after a fishless cycle most times, with a fish cycle, you cant, incase you overload the bacteria.
I wouldnt suggest starting your cycle until you get the real test kit you need. Fishless cycling is really easy and there is a thread about it on here. Tap water is fine as long as it is rm temp or the temp of your tank, remember to add dechlorinator... like prime!

feel free to pm me if you want any help with your cycle.. as thats what im going through! lol

CGXterra

Registered Member
Aug 9, 2009
Awesome. Thanks for the reply. I checked out the aquatech HOB filter and it looks very much like that. They're both about a foot long and have two waterfalls to put the water back into the tank. They completely cleared the tank of cloudiness in less than 48 hours. Roger on the saltwater kit.
Thank you for the other info. I appreciate it.
Ed

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
You will need a freshwater test kit, don't get the test strips they are very inaccurate.

Also, I don't have any fish in the tank and I think that the fishless cycle is the thing to do because I won't be able to add fish until next week even if I wanted to...or should I pick up some of the heartier fish I've read about? Read through this thread for help on cycling http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84598

Start the cycle but don't add any fish until you have finished the cycle.

For water changes, can I use tap water? The tap water here is super cold, so I intend to set the water out into a bucket inside the house to let it get to room temp before doing any water changes, but distilled water is hard to find and expensive for major water changes. Tap water is fine but make sure you use a good water conditioner like seachem prime.

I know, I know...lots of questions. I promise to try and be the first to answer the next newb's questions if I see them after my tank is established and I'm an old pro at this. :) You can never ask two many questions.

Ed

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Can you post a picture of your filter?

Tap is fine....no need for the distilled unless you are keeping some unusual fish or have certain GH/KH issues.

MarkInNC

AC Members
Jun 16, 2009
Hampstead NC
I also just finished a fishless cycle. You should be prepared for a long time for a fishless cycle to complete. Mine took 2 months and I am told that is about average. You can speed things up, I understand, by using established media from a tank that has cycled and is healthy.

Mark

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
The best thing you can do is wait it out until your tank completly cycles and then make sure to do water changes of at least 25% weekly with water that is treated and matched in temp.
Asked as many questions as you need.
I would think online fish supply sites would be your friend, like Drs Foster and Smith.

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
I do not wish to contradict the going theme here of a fishless cycle but I would like you to know I have done a successfull fish in cycle of a 72 gal with 0 fish loss. Everyone is happy and healthy.

I did, however, have a few decent live plants to help with the cycle, and I started out with bare bones stock. After having the tank, with plants, running for 4 or 5 days I added my first fish, 5 zebra danios. I did this on a Sat. and did a water change on a Wed. Next Sat. 5 more danio's and a water change. Wed. a water change. Following Sat. 2 Siamese algae eaters and a water change. Wed. a water change. Following Sat. 1 male betta. Wed. water change. So on and so on. More fish, water change once a week after that. Weekend, a coupld of snails, water change. This was a little over 4 months ago and my snails are laying eggs like no one's business, the Amano shrimp and Ghosts are berried, I think everything is going a-ok.

If you are 6 hours from a pet store a 12 hour round trip to buy live stock once a week may not be a suitable soulution for you. I did want you to know it was an option though.

If you have any desire at all in having real plants, some low light java fern or anubias (nana or lanceota etc.), african water fern, can be tied right to a piece of mopani wood or rock with thread. I belive they can make a big difference in the health of the tank in general. Just my opinion. I was starting threads here a few months ago with all my questions, and no doubt my newbness is not over.

CGXterra

Registered Member
Aug 9, 2009
Can you post a picture of your filter?

Tap is fine....no need for the distilled unless you are keeping some unusual fish or have certain GH/KH issues.
I will post one next week. I don't have my camera with me and I'm going out of town until Monday but I will post one.

Thank you everyone else for the advice. I think we're going to go with the fishless cycle due to not being able to add fish a little at a time. It's going to be a go to Anchorage and get all the fish we want, kind of thing. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks.
Ed

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
garsh... you guys reply too quickly :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com