4 wheel drive goby

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sarra

AC Members
Dec 8, 2007
I picked up a 4 wheel drive Goby the other day, and he seems to be somewhat paired up with my Pistol Shrimp, and my Yellow Rose Antenna Goby leaves him alone. Is it possible for this goby to pair up with a Pistol shrimp, or is he just sharing the burrow? The Pistol Shrimp has created two entrances/exits for the burrow, the new goby just uses one of them...

I've read they're really hard to transport. Does that mean they don't like car-rides, or they are overall very fragile/hard to keep? seems to be doing fine so far, just hasn't eaten anything yet that I've seen, but I also read they're sand sifters.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Any goby can pair with a pistol, it is just more likely for some to do so quicker than others. In my case, it took almost 3 years before my yellow watchman paired with my pistol.. not that I was expecting them to anyway, so it was cool when they did.

Means they stress out easier than others and are harder to get to eat prepared foods. I have seen them a few times, really cool goby, but because I read how delicate they are I have not got one myself.

Sarra

AC Members
Dec 8, 2007
To update, mine is happily moved in and living off prepared shrimp pellets now. So far, so good.

rscuddvr

AC Members
Dec 20, 2007
Middleburg, Fl
I picked up a little un-identified goby at my LFS, kind of a sandy/brown camoflage looking guy, about 3/4's of an inch long. He is now, about 3 months later, pushing 3 inches, and is a blast to watch! Haven't got any shrimp for him to pair with yet, but he seems to do alright on his own. I just can't believe the way he's grown..yikes!!!!!

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
Any goby can pair with a pistol, it is just more likely for some to do so quicker than others. In my case, it took almost 3 years before my yellow watchman paired with my pistol.. not that I was expecting them to anyway, so it was cool when they did.

Means they stress out easier than others and are harder to get to eat prepared foods. I have seen them a few times, really cool goby, but because I read how delicate they are I have not got one myself.
Only a certain number of them do so in the wild.

To tell if they are actually paired or if the goby is just stealing the whole, you have to look to see if they come out together. Pistol shrimp have bad eyesight so they will wait for the goby to come out and then follow, keeping their antennae on the body of the goby so they can feel when the goby sees any possible danger. If you see the pistol coming out without the goby or not coming out at all, it's likely that the goby just found himself a pre-made residence.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store