40g Breeder Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jawasnack

Live plants and fish make you smile
Dec 8, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Gary
Tank looks really good, too bad the Fissiden fontanus didn't make it, such a cool plant (I'm trying to find some for my tanks)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks but the tank looks pretty awful actually, all the plants are half dead. I am seeing great improvement already though and it hasn't even been a week of CO2 & ferts. I can't wait till I fix the lights! I tried to save some of the fissiden. I cleaned it out some and gave it a good peroxide dip, looks like some might make it.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Week 1 Update
New growth is coming in at good rate and the new leaves are incredibly healthy. Only changes are that I added back in a mat of fissiden fontanus. I am now 100% convinced that my MTS is useless, must have not been good enough soil or something.

FTS before WC

FTS after WC

Example of super healthy new growth, middle leaf is what this crypt SHOULD look like.

My male albino longfin BN (sorry for the dirty glass)

Anubias petite from top, lots of new growth (lighter leaves are new) Embers look pretty good here too

Hanging out

With flash

Mystery stems from above

It was a good first week overall.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Week 2 Update
Not much to report really. Not as much growth as I was hoping for. I ordered my new light bulbs so they should be here by next week's update and at that time I can crank up the CO2 some more.

FTS before WC

FTS after WC

ANY comments?

EmilyMarie85

AC Members
Aug 16, 2010
Boise, ID
Real Name
Emily
I like the scape - I think once the rock plants grow in it will look really awesome.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thank you. Once I get my lights setup again (right now I only have 1 old 55w CF in the back, 23" above the substrate) I will change it around/spread it out and get more plants.

averagejose

AC Members
Jun 5, 2011
what are you feeding your fish to get such vibrant colors, i have embers but they are more brown than red right now :confused:

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Embers take awhile to really color up (longer in alkaline conditions) but I have noticed a slight increase in color since feeding NLS with garlic. All my fish (unless sick) always show good colors though, keep the water quality high and the fish will shine.

Tank update: Light bulbs are on back order so I won't be getting them till mid-late Aug.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store