4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
It's the plastic top of an aluminum ladder.

No need for sealer. The pressure of the board sandwiching the plastic against the Permadri was sufficient to keep the water out.

After about 2800 gallons it started showing the same leak. I doubt it took longer to show because of the window blocked off. I think it is leaking in the same place it always has and because I didn't stop at 27-30" range where it was showing up it showed up later. I'm done trying to figure this out. Next step is putting a liner in it as I had originally planned. When that will be, I really don't know.

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe
Ahh, well I know that all the hard work you put into this will be seen and be very, very rewarding. Were all with you, just keep on trying! Good Luck!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
If the leak was delayed this time becasue you did not go as high as the original 27-30" mark but stopped lower in this test. It could mean that a delayed or later leak as you put it could be an indication that it is a progressive problem that is pressure and moment related (widening leak), rather then an acute or single cause vent leak. If it is a widening fault due to pressure a liner may mask or hold back symptoms until its a big surprise.

Just food for thought, NO offense intended.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
If the leak was delayed this time becasue you did not go as high as the original 27-30" mark but stopped lower in this test. It could mean that a delayed or later leak as you put it could be an indication that it is a progressive problem that is pressure and moment related (widening leak), rather then an acute or single cause vent leak. If it is a widening fault due to pressure a liner may mask or hold back symptoms until its a big surprise.

Just food for thought, NO offense intended.
No, the leak is the same. You didn't understand what I said. I filled the tank on one continual fill instead of stopping along the way to wait for the leak. I figured if it leaked the same way, it wasn't the front seal. If it wouldn't have leaked, then it would have been the front seal that was the cause of the leak.

Dagamoth

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Milford, OH
Real Name
Adam
Just curious, it seems like in a lot of the posts I have read that the coating you are using for the tank "self repairs" or something to that extent. Since it is such a small leak have you tried filling the tank up and letting the leak go for a day or two to see if the coating will reseal itself back up?

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
At this point in the juncture, even if you did manage to put additional coats on sufficient to stop the leak, you would have a lingering concern about the longevity of the seal. A liner will go a long ways towards piece of mind on that measure.

I am curious how you plan on doing the liner to window seal?

MacMyers

AC Members
Sep 14, 2010
Palm Harbor, FL
Real Name
Mac Myers
Nolapete,

Maybe I haven't read the thread carefully enough... but have you tried a Vinylester Fiberglass Resin?

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Just curious, it seems like in a lot of the posts I have read that the coating you are using for the tank "self repairs" or something to that extent. Since it is such a small leak have you tried filling the tank up and letting the leak go for a day or two to see if the coating will reseal itself back up?
It self-heals while it's dry not underwater. The problem is that there is a void somewhere that is allowing the coating to balloon out and burst. I have not been able to locate the source.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store