5 gallon planted tank stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chilirasberries

AC Members
Jul 24, 2021
Hi
I have a 5.5 gallon planted tank with blackish brown gravel with one bamboo shrimp and I want to give him some friends. But, I also want some fish. Would it be ok to have guppies (2) with shrimp? And how many more bamboo shrimp should I get?
Thanks!

Reactions: Warrior-Lady

Chilirasberries

AC Members
Jul 24, 2021
I have just discovered that bamboo shrimp should be in a larger tank, so it would probably be best to get a different species. Any suggestions?

Warrior-Lady

AC Members
Jul 3, 2021
UK
Hi
I have a 5.5 gallon planted tank with blackish brown gravel with one bamboo shrimp and I want to give him some friends. But, I also want some fish. Would it be ok to have guppies (2) with shrimp? And how many more bamboo shrimp should I get?
Thanks!
I've had a few 5 gallon tanks and my first was only 20litres and i had 2 red shrimp in their with a Ghost shrimp, chinese algae eater and a few guppies.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Yeah bamboo shrimp need a lot of flow, and need a much larger tank than a 5g. A 20g is minimum for them, they can grow to be 4 inches long. And they really do need the current in a tank to thrive.

So either rehome or upgrade, I'm afraid.

Fish suitable for a 5.5g:

Boraras species, say chili rasboras or such.
Sparkling Gourami
Asian stone catfish (need sand though)
Betta
Neocaridina shrimp
Ghost shrimp
Caridina shrimp (research their water needs though, many need RO)
Mexican dwarf crayfish (I actually really recommend)
A trio of male endler guppies only
Clown killifish
Scarlet badis (needs a particular diet)

Reactions: Warrior-Lady
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store