5 gallon seahorse only tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishinak

AC Members
Apr 16, 2006
I was thinking of setting up a seahorse only tank in a 5 gallon hex. Do you think that this is possable and if you do i need some pointers about sea horse habatats and how to care for them.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I'm going to say 5 gallons is extremely difficult to keep because of the stability. The smaller the tank, the higher the maintenance in the tank..... as far as seahorses, I think they would need something that was easier to keep stable.

dementedlullaby

AC Members
Dec 29, 2005
Dwarf Seahorses can do allright in a 5-10g aquarium. Good luck. They're not for the novice aquarist though.

seahorse.org

Cartman102

Respect my authoritaw!!
Mar 14, 2006
Branson, MO
Have excellent filtration like if they were a shark or ray.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
I agree, the only species you could keep in the 5 gallon would be Dwarf Seahorses. But they are difficult and require dedication to hatch them live foods daily. I reccommend starting with a larger species, which will require at least a 20 gallon aquarium.

-Diana

Cartman102

Respect my authoritaw!!
Mar 14, 2006
Branson, MO
fishinak said:
well if i was to atempt it what kind of filtration would i need
I would do a 20 gal tank with a 5-10gal sump with a fuge, carbon, and skimmer at least.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
fishinak said:
well if i was to atempt it what kind of filtration would i need
Attempt which? Dwarves or the 20 gallon? I do not suggest you attempt dwarves until you research them up the ying-yang... that goes for all seahorses. Dont just ask us what filtration you need... go research which species you want and what type of setup you want. Then you can make your own choices about filtration.

If you need to ask us that... then you are not ready for seahorses.

http://www.seahorse.org is a wealth of information.

;)
-Diana

fishinak

AC Members
Apr 16, 2006
wow i guess i wont ask questions on here ever agine. Actually I was really just hypothasizing on it. If I do decide on proceding than I would actualy do a dwarf seahorse in a 5 gallon, but i was just trying to see what some other peoples thoghts on the matter was. I never said im going out right now and dumping a seahorse in a 5 gallon with out finding out everything that i can on the subject. Please dont tell me not to ask questions because i thoght that was the whole point of forums were for but i guess it really is just to be as rude as possable and tell everyone there stupid!

Zeromason577

AC Members
Apr 10, 2006
Portland,Oregon
She is just saying that if you need this much advice, that maybe you are not skilled enough to be keeping them at this point in the hobby.
Asking questions is fine, and im sure she didnt mean to offend you by saying that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store