50 gallon discus tank transformation!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Sterbai corys are fine with discus temps but only 3 are sad, if you can't have at LEAST 5, skip them. The poor panda cory is alone & prefers low 70F temps & 5 or 6 friends. It won't thrive in your tank, hopefully it will survive...

L-144s will breed if you're correct you have 2 females & 1 male...or even 1 female & 1 male. They & corys have spines that can choke discus & angels when they try to eat either fry. I'm not sure at what size the spines harden up enough to pose a hazard, do you want to risk your big fish?...

What did google say about these issues? You can find any justification online...it doesn't make it true long term...& isn't that what you want, a long time sustainable tank? That's what we're trying to help you with...sigh...yes, it's theoretically "possible" to overstock tanks but it very difficult to do that successfully for long...

All I can say is good luck, you're going down a bad path...I'm truly not trying to be harsh but to make your tank work...rethink your tank stocking!

Reactions: dougall

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
Sterbai corys are fine with discus temps but only 3 are sad, if you can't have at LEAST 5, skip them. The poor panda cory is alone & prefers low 70F temps & 5 or 6 friends. It won't thrive in your tank, hopefully it will survive...

L-144s will breed if you're correct you have 2 females & 1 male...or even 1 female & 1 male. They & corys have spines that can choke discus & angels when they try to eat either fry. I'm not sure at what size the spines harden up enough to pose a hazard, do you want to risk your big fish?...

What did google say about these issues? You can find any justification online...it doesn't make it true long term...& isn't that what you want, a long time sustainable tank? That's what we're trying to help you with...sigh...yes, it's theoretically "possible" to overstock tanks but it very difficult to do that successfully for long...

All I can say is good luck, you're going down a bad path...I'm truly not trying to be harsh but to make your tank work...rethink your tank stocking!
Ok I will try to upgrade to a bigger tank. I actually kept this tank for more than a year now but I just decide to add tankscape 2 weeks ago.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
A bigger tank would help, especially if you can keep the 50g too :)

Have either the discus or angels shown any signs of breeding? Head shaking? Lip locking? Cleaning the filter intake? To my casual eye the angels might both be male, judging by their forehead bumps. Do they fight? Angels can be, well, very territorial if it's a pair. I had 5 adult angels in a 4ft 75g & the pair that formed took almost 3 feet of the tank bullying all the other fish into a foot or so.

My experience with discus was limited to growing out 8 small (breeder "2 inch size", ha!). They showed no signs of pairing up after a year. Then I had to move & a friend took them. Just moving them to a new tank & bingo! eggs!

Be prepared for a change of tank to change the dynamics.

If you want to try & breed & raise discus or angel fry, well, that's a whole different thing...& a lot of work!! They are not really a good beginner fish, it's easy to make very bad mistakes. You might be better off with your L-144s as practice breeders, they're not too hard I think.

If you want to try breeding discus, be aware of the difference in genetics between "pigeon bloods" & turquoise strains, a cross will produce ugly fry that will be a hard sell even to newbies...Do lots of research before this seems like a good idea...it's so much harder than you can believe...

You're just not ready right now, you need to get a grip on tank stocking...& it sounds like you're getting there...I hope so...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store