55 Gallon Aquarium Bridge Broke

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
How do I repair the bridge in the middle of a 55 gallon tank? The center bridge of my 55 gallon broke and my glass tops and lights fell in the water.The lights were on but I was lucky I didn't get shocked or break any more in the tank. Can I use goop to fix it or silcone?. Do I have to buy a new frame to make it safe or would it be better to buy a new tank. I got this tank from a friend and I really like it. It is already set up but when everything fell in the water I had to reduced the water 1/3. Now how do I fix it.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Since Petco is still having their $1 per gallon sale (it might be over this weekend) the best thing would be for you to buy a new 55 gallon tank for $55. That would be the easiest thing, and if I were in your position it would make me feel better, knowing I have a new sturdy tank. If the brace broke it might be an old tank and the silicone might be old on it too, those seals don't last forever. If the tank was ever stored outside, this will make both the silicone and the plastic trim brittle over time.

The next thing you can do is order replacement trim, if you know who manufactured it (Perfecto? All Glass?). Your LFS should be able to help you with this.

Gluing it back together isn't going to work, unfortunately. The center brace in a 55 gallon is very important, the old style 4' tanks often didn't have a brace because the glass was thick and real glass (not tempered) but with these newer tanks, it is a must to have the bracing. If you haven't already, lower the water level a few inches so there is less water pressure on the top.

Other kinds of repair, like euro bracing, are more trouble than they are worth for such a common tank and require skill and precision, not to mention custom cut pieces of glass.

colleen0309

AC Members
Jul 21, 2010
Freedom, NY
I had the same problem. My tank is 25 years old. I couldn't afford to replace it at the time. Like you ,it is my favorite tank. I went to the hardware store and bought a stainless steel strip. First I drained the tank about half way. Made sure everything on the brace was clean and dry. I used aquarium sealer and glued the metal strip in place. Then I drilled 4 small holes in the metal, thru the center brace and screwed it together with stainless steel screws. I gave it 2 days to dry and refilled the tank. It worked beautiful. It's been 2 years and it's still holding like new. It cost me less than $5 to fix it. I wouldn't have tried to fix it like this if it had ever leaked before.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I see no point in buying a new tank since this one can be repaired. You can but new trim or use the method of repair that Colleen used. It is a well-tested method and works fine.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
You should call around and see what new trim costs and if it can be ordered for you. Taking all of the silicone off is not difficult but is time consuming, there is a lot of glue under there and it's not just going to pop right off. The repair Colleen described will work, and is inexpensive...but not everyone has a drill (or is comfortable using one). It shouldn't really show that much either, although it may be obvious to you - usually that's how things are for me!

Either way the tank will have to be drained a considerable amount. It's not that much more work resetting a tank, if that's what you're worried about, and an old tank will benefit from it. There's usually tons of gunk in places we can't get to or see.

Do you know the approximate age of the aquarium itself?

MickRC

AC Members
Dec 22, 2010
Nebraska
My local LFS wanted 40 bucks to order a replacement top for my 55G. Add in the cost of silicone and it doesn't make sense to fix the tank over buying a Petco dollar a gallon tank.

I fixed my tank by buying a sheet of acrylic from Menards and cutting a two inch wide 3 layer brace that was attached with gorilla glue. I had enough to make two braces and so I added the second one as well since my tank had a damaged rim and I had to offset the brace from the center of the tank. It's been holding for 5 months now.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
personally, i would go ahead and get new trim. the fix may work, but there is no way to tell if it will continue working in the long run. plus, it changes the way that weight is distributed along the brace. it may be a good temporary fix, but definitely not something I would have as a permanent solution.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I don't know if you've ever considered a riparium or paludarium, but if you have the MTS bug biting you, I would totally use this an as excuse to

a) get a $1 a gallon Petco tank to replace this one and
b) take the entire top trim off the 55 gallon, and have a rimless palu for crabs :D

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
No and I didn't want to ask. but it looks great except for the broken piece. He said that has always been broken. He might have gotten it from someone else.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store