55 gallon stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Colbyt54

AC Members
Apr 5, 2020
Hi I’ve had a 55 gallon long tank for about 3 years now and I have rotated the stocking a couple times. Right now I only have a bristlenose pleco In it. It is scaped with a piece of driftwood in the middle and some fake plants on the left and right . I wanted to put 4 angelfish in, as well as some neon tetras, and maybe some loaches or corys. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
I would suggest getting 5 angels opposed to 4. Neons will get eaten by angels. You want to get a more deeper bodied tetra or something fast like rummynose. Cardinals are usually a gamble.\

You could do
  1. 5 angelfish
  2. 10 corydoras sterbai
  3. 10 rummynose tetras OR 8 diamond tetras.
  4. 1 BN pleco.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amazoniantanklvr

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Angelfish need temperatures above 80F.

Neon tetras need cooler, under 78. Id consider cardinal tetras instead as they like warmer!

Only a few cories can handle the warmer temps, so if you get cories, get Sterbai corydoras.

Loaches like kuhli loaches would be the better match temperature wise they can sit at 80 quite happily.

Colbyt54

AC Members
Apr 5, 2020
I would suggest getting 5 angels opposed to 4. Neons will get eaten by tetras. You want to get a more deeper bodied tetra or something fast like rummynose. Cardinals are usually a gamble.\

You could do
  1. 5 angelfish
  2. 10 corydoras sterbai
  3. 10 rummynose tetras OR 8 diamond tetras.
  4. 1 BN pleco.
Ok that sounds good, do you think I could do less corys and maybe more rummynose? Or maybe a couple different types of tetras? After more research of course

Colbyt54

AC Members
Apr 5, 2020

Neon tetras need cooler, under 78. Id consider cardinal tetras instead as they like warmer!

Only a few cories can handle the warmer temps, so if you get cories, get Sterbai corydoras.

Loaches like kuhli loaches would be the better match temperature wise they can sit at 80 quite happily.
Thank you! How many of the loaches do you think? Probably not many. With the corys, will they just eat left over food or should I drop bottom feeder pellets?

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
Ok that sounds good, do you think I could do less corys and maybe more rummynose? Or maybe a couple different types of tetras? After more research of course
Personally I think it's better to have one large school of tetras, you could move the cories down to 6-8 and bump the rummynose to 20. Or you could keep 10 cories and bump the rummys to 15-20.

Reactions: Amazoniantanklvr

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Based on my experiences with angelfishes, I would suggest only 3 in that space. I like the idea of tetra cardinals and Corydoras sterbai.

Colbyt54

AC Members
Apr 5, 2020
Personally I think it's better to have one large school of tetras, you could move the cories down to 6-8 and bump the rummynose to 20. Or you could keep 10 cories and bump the rummys to 15-20.
Yea I prefer the idea of a bunch of tetras as well, so maybe 4 angels, 15-20 rummynose tetras, and 6-8 corys?

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America

I beg to differ. angelcraze angelcraze will agree with me. 78-81 is usually what they are comfortable in.

THAT i agree with. As long as cardinals grow up with the angels you should be fine. :)
Based on my experiences with angelfishes, I would suggest only 3 in that space. I like the idea of tetra cardinals and Corydoras sterbai.
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (to 3)
3 is the worst number for angels and discus. If a pair forms the other will be bullied. Even if a pair doesn't form 2 will often bully the weakest one. Sometimes even to the death. On a rare occasion have i seen a trio work (not sexed). I wouldn't risk it.

I agree with jay, 4-6 would be best. 4 Can be iffy though. As long as you can keep up with your water changes you should be fine. :)
Is there a reason 4 wouldn’t work?
no, there isnt.

Reactions: angelcraze
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store