55 River manifold / HMF tank build.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice vid!

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
My atros from MsJinkzd have settled in nicely, and percs are arriving tomorrow! Looking at the size and scale of the tank, I think I'll sell off 2-3 of my panda garras. I have 6, and I think 3-4 will be more appropriate once they're fully grown. Also, I'm going to try hard to find a female Rhinogobius rubromaculatus, and when I do, I'll give them their own tank, so my male will be gone from this tank. Finally, I think I'm going to pull my Australian Desert Gobies and give them a a warmer tank with a bit of salinity to try to coax some breeding from them--by all reports, they're incredibly easy to breed. The white clouds will go outside in the spring, and I'll probably just put 2 pairs back in the fall--so they'll be winter-only fish in this tank.

So, if/when these things happen, it'll be 3-4 panda garras, 15 various stiphodons, and 7 Sewellia. I'm very hopeful I can get some breeding from the garras and sewellia, and none of those fish would be likely to predate fry, which is another reason why I will be moving my other fish around.

Anyway, pics of the atros and percs after they've colored-up. The atros are already well on their way!
Oh, and I've added some driftwood and done a little re-scaping.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I've got to read more about those garras...but they sound fascinating! I wish I hadn't already gotten a red tailed shark in my 55, but he was so adorable :( I hate those moments of weakness, especially when I know better. He will be fine as the only bottom dweller, but if I'd just waited and looked around I could have probably found something much more unique! (Like some panda garras, maybe...)

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
I've always liked red tailed sharks. Is he particularly aggressive? I know they're assertive fish, but unless yours is genuinely nasty, I wouldn't be surprised if panda garras could coexist... They LIKE the flow of my tank, and play in it, BUT according to some detailed reports (practicalfishkeeping, iirc), they do live in streams, but they also live in stagnant bit of water in the wild. In other words, they don't necessarily need a riverine tank.

Percs "out for delivery" today!

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
He is awfully small now, so it's hard to tell. They are all relatively docile when they are juvies (except at feeding time if there's something particularly tasty, he won't mind bashing a tankmate to get extra portions) but when they get big their temperament becomes worse. I hope he'll just be cantankerous and not nasty, but his tankmates are red glass barbs, rainbowfish, a paradise gourami, and large killifish of some sort. They can all hold their own as he matures.

I posted on an LFS's FB wall that specializes in corals and hard to find items, asked them how much a 33 gallon tank might be. If I can make that work, I'd definitely be interested - I think it would be perfect :) I imagine plants would be easy to grow as well, and I have most of the equipment already.

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
Thanks, Gary!
As an update: 1 of the 5 percs came with some sort of fin injury with a fungal infection. I QT'd him and treated him, but he didn't make it. The seller gave me a generous refund and the other 4 are doing great. They're very small, but they are not at all shy, are grazing constantly, and are already coloring up. I removed the Australian Desert Gobies, as they could easily eat the percs (though I doubt the would) and have given them their own tank. I haven't been able to catch the Rhino rubro yet, but he'll be out when I can. I have a lead on some more of them, so I'll get a species tank going at some point, or maybe combine them with my duospilus in a bigger tank.

The atros are starting to really look good, and the mattenfilter seems to be working nicely. Oh, and I caught my white clouds spawning twice yesterday.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Wonderful shots :) Sorry about the trouble with your one perc, but glad everything is progressing nicely otherwise. It pays to buy from a top notch seller instead of some fly by night person!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store