55 setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hollyatkinson

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am setting up a new 55 gallon and shutting down my 10 gallon. I also have a 30 gallon already established which I will continue to run.

My question is which fish should I use to cycle my 55, I could use the small fish in my 10 gallon which consist of 4 tiger barbs, 4 rosy barbs and 2 upside down catfish.

OR

I can use the fish in my 30 gallon which are 3 blood parrot cichlids.

My 55 is intended for my parrot cichlids and down the road some oscars and I the fish in my 10 gallon will eventually go into my 30 gallon, however I am not sure which ones to use to cycle the big tank.

Please help,

Thanks Holly

FishmasteR2002

Pescatore Napoletano
Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
If you intend the 55 for the cichlids then put them in there. Also keep you 10 for more fish. More fish are always more fun.

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
fishless cycling is the way to go.
check out this article for more info:
http://www.tomgriffin.com/aquamag/cycle2.html

I would revise your stocking considerations. IMHO, a 55 is too small for a single oscar. Not to mention you will have other fish in there.

As per FishmasteR2002's post, the amount you stock with is very very dependant on what kind of cichlids you want. 10 is quite a bit of fish, you are only asking for a huge all out brawl with that many cichlids in there (depending on what type).

HTH
-Richer

jiggerpolebill

i have a key to the Twinsavr
Aug 16, 2002
Indy, IN, USA
Visit site
cant she also use her other tanks to help jumpstart her 55? maybe she can run her filter media for her 55 in her 30 for starters? or use some of the old 30's media in her new 55? if youre using the same gravel, maybe swap some of that as well and take the water from her water changes from the 30 to put in the 55. i did this when starting my kids 10 gallons from my own 55. i know this is a reversal of what i did and itd be different going from smaller to larger, but wouldnt it help speed up the cycling? just a thought. any comments on doing it this way?

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Yes, she can jump start the 55 gallon... quite easily actually.

Since you are going to shut down your 10 gallon, I'll suggest doing this:

Take the filter from the 10 gallon and put it onto the 55 gallon. Transfer the fish from the 10 gallon into the 55 gallon. You should see little or no cycling, since (hopefully) the bacterial colonies in the 10 gallon filter are still in tact (which they should be) and the fact that 55 gallons will dilute anything the filter misses. Leave the tank running like that for a few weeks, continuely testing the water for ammonia and nitrites. If nothing shows up, _very_ slowly begin to add your fish.

Of course, this will only work if the 10 gallon had good filtration to begin with and the filtration was not a UGF.

IMHO, fishless cycling the 55 is the only surefire way of making sure the tank will not undergo a cycle.

HTH
-Richer

hollyatkinson

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
Thanks you guys for the advice, I think I will try richers method. I don't feel comfortable using household ammonia to cycle a tank. I would rather play it safe and do it the natural way using a small amount of fish so the levels will rise but not to a toxic level.
But can someone please clarify for me how big oscars get because I have been told twice that a 55 isn't even big enough for one. I was always told that fish will only grow to their enviornment. Is this true??

Also the 10 fish that I have in my 10 gallon will not be residing in the 55, my big tank is for my parrots only, I will be putting my 10 small fish in my 30.

Thanks Holly

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Actually, adding fish to a tank is just as unnatural as adding ammonia to your tank. In nature, it usually doesn't happen =)

Personally, I would go the fishless method, then after thats completel, add your fish. It is a nearly no chance of a cycle (and thus loss of fish) through the fishless way. It also leaves a bit of bioload open for other fish you may want.

Oscars can grow to be fairly large (12+ inches I think). A typical 55 gallon is 4 feet long. Last time I remember oscars grow fairly fast, and like their swimming room... it is also important to keep their water clean since they are messy eaters. Large tanks make that task easier. It can be done in a 55 gallon, but only if you keep one oscar, overfilter the tank, and keep up with water changes. Also, oscars are known to kill/eat almost any fish that cannot defend itself. Most any fish you put in with an oscar in a like your 55 will most likely be dead within a day or two.

FYI, fish do not grow to their tank size... they are only stunted. Think of it this way, in the way past, chinese women had their feet bound because small feet were considered beautiful. It did work, their feet "grew to their shoe size" so to speak. But it left their feet awfully deformed and they were in constant pain. Apply this image to fish, and you will understand why many experienced aquarists shake their heads when they hear that saying "the fish will only grow to fit their tank".

HTH
-Richer

hollyatkinson

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
compatibility

I read somewhere that as long as oscars are with fish of the same size they would reside ok together except for when they were breeding. Also the local pet store that I get my fish from have parrots and oscars together all the time and they do ok. I was just curious if the two really are compatible?

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Instead of oscars,maybe a senegalus bichir,parrots are aggressive in my opinion,bites my hand because of territorial issues

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store