55g CA stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
I wouldn’t add any more cichlids to that size tank. You could run into territorial issues with the two you already have although I think it’s manageable, but any more and there won’t be enough territory for them. You’re original idea of adding a school of larger tetras was a good one IMO
+1. I also would push to add two maybe more diamonds.

Reactions: FishAddict74

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I kept acaras & firemouths in a 55g, a pair of each & it wasn't ideal. The larger acaras took almost 2/3 of the tank. But you have only 1 of each species so much less of an issue with a few hiding/territory caves. I agree with adding a few more diamond tetras...Maybe a bottom feeder like a group of bigger corys (6-8? all the same species), OR a BN pleco?

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
View attachment 229698any cichlids go good with these fish
If you would have started them off together younger I would have said you can house 4 or 5 CA cichlids from 4" to 6". In college, I had a 55 with a dempsey, a firemouth, a female convict, a salvini and a jag. The jag was removed to his own tank when he hit about 3" (he was actually still peaceful, but it was time to separate him), but the others continued to live together peacefully for about 2-1/2 years until I rehomed them after I graduated from college.

As it is, your fish are too old, too large and too set in their ways to risk it in my opinion. I wouldn't try it at this point.

WYite

Reactions: FishAddict74
Apr 7, 2021
www.youtube.com
Camera Used
8 Megapixel iSight Camera
If you would have started them off together younger I would have said you can house 4 or 5 CA cichlids from 4" to 6". In college, I had a 55 with a dempsey, a firemouth, a female convict, a salvini and a jag. The jag was removed to his own tank when he hit about 3" (he was actually still peaceful, but it was time to separate him), but the others continued to live together peacefully for about 2-1/2 years until I rehomed them after I graduated from college.

As it is, your fish are too old, too large and too set in their ways to risk it in my opinion. I wouldn't try it at this point.

WYite
My EBA is almost full grown byt my Firemouth that i just got recently is smaller and my EBA has only showed aggression towards an African Cichlid (yes i know it was in my early days) and a Jewel Cichlid who i have rehomed. And those fish were around the same size as my EBA. But when I introduced the little firemouth to the tank he swam right up to it, sized it up and then left him alone, So i think small cichlids should be okay. I was thinking about adding 1 Rainbow Cichlids or a few Electric Blue Rams

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
My EBA is almost full grown byt my Firemouth that i just got recently is smaller and my EBA has only showed aggression towards an African Cichlid (yes i know it was in my early days) and a Jewel Cichlid who i have rehomed. And those fish were around the same size as my EBA. But when I introduced the little firemouth to the tank he swam right up to it, sized it up and then left him alone, So i think small cichlids should be okay. I was thinking about adding 1 Rainbow Cichlids or a few Electric Blue Rams
I’ve kept rainbows and if you really want to try another cichlid, that would be the one IMO. They’re peaceful but tough enough to handle a little harassment

Reactions: Sprinkle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store