55g

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Xavi

Sillyboy
Mar 11, 2007
Worcester, MA
I will be upgrading my 36g bf to a standard 55g.

I want to stock the new tank as follows:
Altolamprologus calvus - pair
Synodontis petricola - 5
Eretmodus cyanistictus - pair
Cyprichromis leptosoma - 11

I'm looking for some feedback on if this a good stocking and if not what would be better.

Thanks

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Sounds good but the cyps need more room than a 55gal i would go with a different top water fish maybe some caudopunctatus they tend to stay up in the water column but will breed in a shell they attain 3 inches or go with some lelupi for color..

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
i didnt think you could put Cyps in a 55. and is your eretmodus cyanostictus an actual pair bound pair or are there just 2 of them

rogersb

AC Members
Apr 9, 2008
You don't need a bonded pair of gobies. They will form a pair bond. People often recommend to get a few and let them pair. Often times they are only available as wild adults, and since eretmodus are on the CARES list, I think it would be irresponsible to get several and let a pair bond form. I've had three types of gobies and buying a male and female has always resulted in a pair that bonded. Given ample space, such as a 55 with plenty of cover, they should exist nicely together with the rest of the tank mates provided you feed appropriately.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
will males and females fight. bcuz the 2 that i have are nipping and chasing occastionally. does that mean that i have the same sex fish or is that just typical behavior for them???

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I would say typical behavior as for any cichlid the nip and chase is a way of life for them..

Xavi

Sillyboy
Mar 11, 2007
Worcester, MA
You don't need a bonded pair of gobies. They will form a pair bond. People often recommend to get a few and let them pair. Often times they are only available as wild adults, and since eretmodus are on the CARES list, I think it would be irresponsible to get several and let a pair bond form. I've had three types of gobies and buying a male and female has always resulted in a pair that bonded. Given ample space, such as a 55 with plenty of cover, they should exist nicely together with the rest of the tank mates provided you feed appropriately.
I am planning order 6 gobies online from a site that has some F1's of a color variant that I like. When I get a pair I'm going to trade the rest at a fish store in the area.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
what color variation are they? mine are beatin each other up. there is only 2 and the 1 keeps chasing the other and he has begin biting him on site.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
thats the same pic that dave has. is that who your ordering from? i have 2 of these

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store