5gallon Stocking Suggestions.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chatters

AC Members
Jan 9, 2007
Say I keep the oto,

Would 5 neons work?
Or should I just look at a possibility of a beta?

I'll have to look around and see if I can find any micro rasbora. Found a bunch of amazing looking ones online, but haven't had a chance to really hunt for any.

evelyn80

Guru at procrastinating
Aug 10, 2008
in your house!!
u could do 5 otos and call it day. they dont eat regular flake food though so u would need to get them alagae wafers are fresh veggies ;)

OldMan47

I love my endlers
Jan 1, 2008
Central Illinois
If you want to keep the oto, you could still add some Heterandria Formosa, aka least killiefish. They are not kiliies but livebearers and are easy to care for. I have a nice sized colony of them going in a 10 gallon along with some pygmy cories and all is well.
A mature male here

and a mature female here

The female isn't much bigger than the male but I caught her closer to the camera. They reach an adult size of under an inch.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I agree with least killies. I've had mine for months, and they haven't come close to overrunning their 10g.

chatters

AC Members
Jan 9, 2007
Ok Think I figured out a couple options, will have to look around and read up more.
Understanding that these fish will not stay in the 5g forever. :p

Option 1:
1 Oto
5 Neons

Option 2:
1 oto
1 betta

Option 3:
1 oto
5 least killiefish

does option 1 seem to be pressing it?

chatters

AC Members
Jan 9, 2007
Ok, I've been stocked up for about 2 weeks. With the 5 new neons.

But have run into something odd. I've been doing water changes 4 in total.

On the 2nd to last I had ratings of
Ammonia .25
Nitrate 5
Nitrite 0
Ph - 7.9 (Steady for a year).

Tonight I tested before the water change (like normal)
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0

So I did a 40% water change.
After the change I figured I would do a test, just wondering how well the change was.
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0

now I was like.. how? I just changed half the water, so I tested the tap. Nitrate 0
so I tested the tank 2 more times about in between 10 and 20.

So I am confused.. I assume I had a mini cycle which I was expecting. But I can't seem to get the nitrates to drop with a wc? :confused:

anyways here are some pics of the setup. The neons are semi active, they go around the bottom of the tank. They are crazy during feeding ( I feed small amounts of flake ). And the Tank Temp is at 79. Not sure why they stay under the heater near the left. (Sorry about the date on the photos)

HPIM1437.jpg HPIM1426.jpg HPIM1428.jpg HPIM1431.jpg HPIM1432.jpg HPIM1433.jpg HPIM1434.jpg HPIM1435.jpg HPIM1436.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store