60 Gallon Tank Setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Red Tail Shark
5 Pearl Gourami
5 Cockatoo Apisto
5 Blue Ram
This is also a no.

Blue rams need warmer temps than the rest, above 82F for longterm best health. Too hot for the rest.

No apistos or rams with the shark either--all occupy the bottom of the tank so will cause disputes.

Obviously thinking you are set on a shark...

Here's something that could work better
6 pearl gourami
8-10 five-banded barbs
1 red tail shark

Keep the bottom shark only.

OR, if you like the look of the shark but want more bottom activity, look into botia loaches instead (not clowns--too big).

Could do:

6 pearl gourami
8-10 five-banded barbs
8 yoyo or zebra loaches

Five banded barbs look similar to tiger barbs, but a LOT more peaceful.

jtino

AC Members
Feb 26, 2022
i did research on the five banded barbs and i just like the activeness and the look of the Tiger barbs a little better. it is a nice option though if i want a little bit more variety in the tank. Would any of the below be suitable tank mates for the RTS and a school of Tiger Barbs?

Golden Wonder Killifish
Rosy Barbs
Odessa Barbs
Giant Danios

i heard keeping barbs with other barbs is generally okay but Im 100% sure with the Tigers. thanks.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Can attempt Odessa barbs, theyre a little more robust than the rosies.
Might get away with the giant danios, mostly due to activity level but I'd say you'd be safer with the odessas

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I would skip giant danios (jumpers & shark shaped, might nip gouramis, disappointing too) & the killifish. I like Noodle's idea of Odessa barbs over rosies too. But I'd go with only 1 barb species...Odessa or tigers. Even with mellow pearl gouramis 6 seems like too many. Loaches will not be happy with a shark, yoyos too big & aggro for your tank.

If you want a semi-aggressive tank & it sounds like you do how about:

1 RT shark
1 blue, opaline OR gold gourami (much tougher than pearls)
10-12 barbs (Odessa or tigers, I vote Odessa. I will not keep tigers again) OR with loaches rather than a sharks (see below)

Possibly a BN pleco (any color but NOT a long finned 1) with 4-6 caves & the shark, they both understand the territory thing. Wood in 2 areas if you go BN, they like it to graze on it.

It sounds like you're not a loach lover like me but another idea: No shark, no BN pleco!

7-8 striata (zebra) loaches OR 10-12 sidthimunki loaches (dwarf chain)
Pearl gouramis (1 male & 2 females)
5 denisoni barbs (roseline sharks, torpedo barbs) OR Odessa barbs

I also like rasboras instead of either the gouramis OR roselines (or other barbs, tigers or Odessa)). Harlequin or red tailed (Boras boraspetensis). You could have 12-ish of either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store