65 gallon rebuild

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I suppose that obtaining the bag with 10 tablets will be enough if I intend to maintain low requirement plants? Although there is a bag of 40 tablets, dougall had mentioned that Seachem substrates are inert but that they work well retaining nutrients from root tabs, is it possible that a combination of these two products will work?
I feel called out, and terrible for not noticing.

Yes, Seachem (sold as Seachem) substrates are inert.

Yes their root tabs will work with the flourite

But.

Their root tabs are not complete, they do not contain much of the 'macro' nutrients (look at the packet) and rely on fish waste in an established aquarium... You can see most simply that there isn't much nitrogen.

So just bear that in mind. If you are using brand new flourite, you may end up missing some nutrients.

Reactions: CichlidFins

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
If I recall correctly flourite draws in nutrients from the water column or from an area around it. I used flourite for over a year with no root tabs and the plants did quite well for a supposed inert substrate upon purchase.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Thanks WYite, don't use it. Unfortunately today I lost my halfblack angel in the 10 gallon tank, I have few "valuable" fish for me now, rethinking the idea of going back to the tank.
View attachment 229839
Sorry to hear about your angel. You've had a run of bad luck lately.

WYite

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Lalo, I've been reading but not commenting, sorry. Seachem root tabs, as dougall said, are just most;y "micro ferts" almost no "macros". You'll want a more comprehensive fertilizer for root feeding plants. Can you get Osmocote Plus? & empty gel capsules?

I'm so sorry about your angel too. Not to be too bossy, but maybe you should focus on stable tanks for your water conditions & less on "dream fish" for now. You've got some water issues I don't understand very well.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If I recall correctly flourite draws in nutrients from the water column or from an area around it. I used flourite for over a year with no root tabs and the plants did quite well for a supposed inert substrate upon purchase.
The technical term is cation exchange capability, success will depend on what else is down in the substrate and what sort of plants are being grown.

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Thank you all for your contributions, fishorama, I can get Osmocote (until a few months ago I couldn't find it) but it's a bit expensive, one kg almost costs a bag of Flourite and it would be easier to get the capsules, I suppose there are any suggestions with this product, I sense that it is to occupy osmocote like root tabs, but on normal gravel? On Flourite?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
In any substrate... Flourite, gravel, sand or whatever.

I normally use osmocote+ because of the balance of the nutrients.

If you use capsules, it helps to prick a hole in the ends with a pin so they hold less air and are less likely to try to get to the surface.

Alternatively you can put a few into an ice cube trays, add a little water, freeze and then use them without needing a capsule at all... All you are really trying to do is get them into the substrate before they start to dissolve.

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
I collected this wood on the shore of a beach, it was a large piece but just yesterday I cut it into 3 small pieces, is it possible that I can use it in my tank? What do you think? When I collected it, I went with the team of aquarists who participated in the biotope contest, and they mentioned that it can be used without problems in a tank, but I would like to receive more opinions, observe the folds of the cut in the wood, can it be used?
IMG_20210502_213025~2.jpg
IMG_20210502_213041~2.jpg

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Guys, can anubias stand between two rocks? I have read that they do not do very well sown in the ground, is this true?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store