65 gallon rebuild

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Thanks, that's a good answer and it makes several things make sense, I'll see how I can place those elements on the substrate.

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
I know that the fish waste favors the plants, most of it remains in the substrate and I take care of siphoning only the part where there are no plants, also the mechanical filtration gets dirty quickly and even so my nitrates are quite scarce.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The big thing is that the nitrates, or other nutrients, that you measure in the water are not necessarily the same available to the roots.

Fish waste is more than just nitrogen, so what you can see in the substrate or filter may be useless .

Anything you can put into the substrate should help. Even if designed for terrestrial plants,. If covered correctly will not affect the water.

In the US, osmocote+ or Jobes plant spikes would be the simplest budget solution. Or DIY if you have red clay powder and the different plant nutrition salts.

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
The big thing is that the nitrates, or other nutrients, that you measure in the water are not necessarily the same available to the roots.

Fish waste is more than just nitrogen, so what you can see in the substrate or filter may be useless .

Anything you can put into the substrate should help. Even if designed for terrestrial plants,. If covered correctly will not affect the water.

In the US, osmocote+ or Jobes plant spikes would be the simplest budget solution. Or DIY if you have red clay powder and the different plant nutrition salts.
I have red clay, I use it in my topsoil which is under the substrate, but apparently it's not enough for cryptos, as I remember Flourish tabs does not have the necessary elements, right? Osmocote plus is available but only for import, it will take a few weeks to arrive and it's a bit expensive. Thank you for your help.

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
On a side note I added a small batch of cardinals again, I have checked what fishorama told me, these fish seem to be hardy after settling down after their trip, these guys arrived a couple of days ago and they are doing quite well, they ate since they arrived and took on an excellent color. They came on the same trip to the LFS as my first 15 cardinals:
P1030926~2.JPG

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
I was pleasantly surprised tonight, since I was finally able to see my Blue Phantom pleco again, and I was even more surprised to see how fast it grew, this subject arrived at the tank on May 21, making a quick calculation after seeing it placed on the glass and on the substrate for a moment I'm sure it measures about 1.5". I took this picture when this fish arrived, and he measured about 1.5 cm, I'm quite surprised.
IMG_20210520_221915~2.jpg

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Most recent photo with my Kubotai loach in front, I did a couple of pruning to my Hygrophilas, in these weeks I hope to get more plants for the left area.
IMG_20210613_134051~2.jpg

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Very nice,

I do prefer it with the lights on though ;)

Reactions: Lalo J.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store