65 gallon stock list

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Thanks, I have read in a lot of places that rams and angels are fine together so I was surprised by the previous responses.
I have previously kept fish for a number of years but have been out of the hobby for a few years due to life getting in the way. I previously had mostly African cichlids and have never kept rams but I am confident I can keep them happy.
Would 1 angel be happy alone? I don’t want to breed them at this point so if it would be happy I’d be fine with a single centre piece fish.
As for the schooling fish, I’m still researching but have ruled out quite a few due to fin nipping.
For plecos I’m so far looking at a few of the dwarf varieties, i know the common plecos and quite a few others get far too big for my tank.
I think one angel would be fine. I had brilliant rasboras in that 75 and they didn’t seem to do any fin nipping. It was the serpae and red eye. Funny you mention Africans, I tore down my community to get back into Africans lol

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Would I be best adding the pearls first so they can get settled in before the angel is added?
Yes, the angel wouldnt have territory and possibly being aggressive to them. I would add the angel lastith other fish being added first. There might be a possibilty that angel could get aggressive over time. But again, I have no knowledge at all.

Meaning of possible-> A single event that may happen but it is highly unlikely/uncommon.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I agree with others that said 1 angel will be fine. I like pearl gouramis a lot, but they're very iffy with angels. If you decide to get 3 go with 1 male & 2 females. They're pretty easy to sex, males have longer dorsal & anal fins & colorful "chests" when big enough.

I prefer rasboras to many tetras. Tetras have teeth in the front of their mouths, rasboras don't so can't nip. Harlequin, espei & redtailed rasboras are all pretty & are easy to find. If you go with tetras I kept lemons with angels but their coloring is rather subtle. No to serpae, skirts & long angel/gourami fins. You might get away with cardinal tetras or rummy noses but not neons & an adult angel, that 1/4-1/2 inch difference in tetra size is key.

I would start with either gouramis or rasboras/tetras then the other. Get a small angel eventually so the others have time to grow. Then maybe corys or pleco.

I love all corys! Get at least 6 or 8 of the same species. If you go with dwarfs (dwarves?) you can have even more! Pygmys don't even count much as bottom fish, more low to midwater swimmers.

For plecos, BN ancistrus are readily available & come in several varieties. Males tend to hide but females are out & about. Chose a smaller fish if you're hoping for a female. Some of the other small plecos hide all the time & some are nocturnal too. I like clown plecos but they're nocturnal day hiders, perfect for insomniacs like me, lol. Provide at least 1 hiding spot under rocks or wood for any pleco, some like wood, others need it.

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
It seems to me that WYite and fishorama already said it all, although I would like to add that in my experience pearl gouramis tend to be aggressive towards angels, I only had one approximately 2.5 "and it was quite annoying for my triangle fish. Although that is just my experience, I would add them at the same time, and place colorful tetras, I love rasboras too, between those two species you have a lot to choose from.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
It seems to me that WYite and fishorama already said it all, although I would like to add that in my experience pearl gouramis tend to be aggressive towards angels, I only had one approximately 2.5 "and it was quite annoying for my triangle fish. Although that is just my experience, I would add them at the same time, and place colorful tetras, I love rasboras too, between those two species you have a lot to choose from.
I had the same experience with blue gouramis attacking angels when I tried to keep them together as a kid. Years ago it seems to me I read that it had something to do with the pelvic fins being similarly shaped and triggering a territorial reaction, but who knows, I may not even be remembering the article correctly and that may be a highly distilled memory that has nothing to do with what the article actually said.

Regardless, I didn't mention it because I've never kept pearls and I don't know for sure they'd act the same way. Thanks for th einput, Lalo.

WYite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store