70gal Paludarium/Vivarium Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I think its been a year or more since I have been on this site. I've been a 'lil busy with life and other than a fauna-free paludarium (well okay, it has some snails in it still) and two dogs I no longer have any fish/reptiles/amphibians/inverts/etc. I took down all my other tanks, gave away my fish (breeding colonies of pygmy cories and peacock gudgeons too!), and pretty much have just been biding my time in the small critter department. Well, that's about to change!

I've had a tank/stand sitting in a spare room for about three years. I recently (yesterday) took out the stand, sanded it, and painted it. Friday night I plan to put some elbow grease into the aquarium and figure out exactly where I want to display it. IIRC, dimensions are close to 49"Lx13"Wx25"H (it has kinda odd dimensions). I don't have my equipment or hardscape decided (or probably even purchased!) yet. Meanwhile, I am trying to figure out how I am going to set the thing up and what its inhabitants will be. I don't think this tank will be a true biotope, but perhaps attempting to "get close" would be fun. The only fauna I really have my eyes on right now are dwarf chain loaches. That's not set in stone though. The biggest key for this whole setup will be ease of maintenance. I don't want extremely complex filter maintenance/access, overly-picky fauna, sensitive plants, etc. The most water I am thinking of is about 30gal while the least would be about 10gal. A few options I am tossing around right now are:

1) Open top (or at least mostly-open top) lower-humidity plants above the water line with only about 15gal of water total. Land surface would take up most of tank. I was thinking of going a bit "large" with some of the plants and having them grow out the top. Lights would likely be suspended from the ceiling (though this is not an absolute).

2) Mesh/glass combo top, moderate humidity environment with some frogs (possibly Reed frogs or similar). If I go for Reed frogs, I would like to find some kind of small/medium sized "reed" type plants for them to hang out on around the waterline. I could either have land to one side or make the back side of the tank the "edge" of land.

3) Higher humidity setup with shallow water. This would be a rainforest type setup, probably with dart frogs, automatic misting system, etc. Probably very little water as well.

I try to take some pics in the next few days of the tank/stand. Doesn't look like there has been tons of activity in this sub-forum lately, but if anyone has any cool ideas/pictures I wouldn't mind seeing them for inspiration!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Nope. There hasn't been much activity. I have no interest in owning amphibians or reptiles, but I do appreciate good set ups, and await your decisions and pictures.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Ive seen many of these on youtube and alot of them have a waterfall. Check some youtube videos out to see if anything strikes your fancy. Also, i think doing about 20-30 gallons of water would be easier for maintance just because it would take longer for things to go south if something bad happened.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

steffish

AC Members
Apr 18, 2006
I will be interested to see what you come up with. I'm considering doing a river/bank set-up in a 40 long tank. So many choices it's sometimes hard to narrow it down. Next you know you suddenly have a fishroom full of tanks. :)

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I haven't had a chance to work on the tank (other than do some research/brainstorming), so nothing new to report hardware wise. Yesterday I did have this idea pop into my head of doing some kind of Mangrove-based brackish environment. However, after having looked at what I have been able to find for fish (that would live comfortably) I haven't been impressed. And if I were to go full marine I'd rather choose a different tank and create a reef tank anyway. *sigh* I had kinda gotten myself psyched up for a brackish, mangrove growing tank.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
A brakish mangrove setup wouldve been sweet. Just keep doing research to see if anything inspires you or you get other ideas. Either way ill be watching this thread to see how things are progressing and to give some feedback :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Yeah, I was originally thinking basically of having live mangroves growing amongst some large mangrove-looking roots in about 30gal of water. The substrate would have been kind of a brown sand; maybe I would have some rocks on an end or something for caves/cover. Problem is, like I said I really can't find a group of fauna to complete the tank. I don't want fiddler crabs, not interested in mud skippers, dragon gobies are ugly, scats get too big, mono's too big, columbian sharks/similar cats seem to all get too big, knight gobies are cool but I think they would eat the glass fish or probably any smaller gobies I put in there... Like I said, oh well.

Maybe tomorrow I'll try to create a 3d model in the tank of another idea I have in my head... but this one is for a stream bank setup.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
You can do FW mangroves....

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Hmmm, I looked up freshwater mangroves and you are absolutely correct. It seems they can do quite well in freshwater. I may incorporate a couple for their looks in a freshwater setup but at this point I won't be using them in the same capacity as I would in a brackish paludarium. The first set of hinges I bought didn't work out as well as I wanted, so I did a little work on those. Still trying to pick a theme...

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Actually, a lot of mangroves for brackish/SW tanks are propagated in FW..all my reds were from the dealer I got them from in Hawaii.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store