75 Gallon Stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

herp606

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Would all these ideas work? (obviously not together)
Three wild type angelfish, one firemouth cichlid, apistogramma pair, 5 serpae tetra, and 10 emerald corydoras
One female Jack dempsey, two firemouth cichlids, 5 emerald corydoras (I feel like the cories would get eaten)
One senegal bichir, one african leaf fish, 3 african butterfly fish, 7 congo tetra
Also which one do you think would look the best.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
First option: Go for six angels (my experience with angels is that they're best in a mated pair or as a shoal of 6 or more). Skip the firemouth (it can get a little aggressive and will probably conflict with the apistos) and add a festivum or two. The serpae tetras will likely nip at the angel's fins (even as a school), so replace with something less nippy. If the red color is a must have, I'd suggest flame tetras and I'd up the number to 8 to 10. With this stocking list, you could easily go up to 15 or 16. There are other tetras that would do fine as well if you're not attached to the red. The cories are fine. Final stocking list: 6 angels, 1 festivum, one pair of any apistogramma species, 12 flame tetras and 10 emerald cories.

Second option: You could go with a 3 or 4 more mid-sized cichlids to the list for a total of 5-7, depending on size. I'd suggest a convict or one of the Archocentrus, Amatitlania or Cryptoheros species, a rainbow cichlid, a nicaragua cichlid, or a salvini in that mix, just off the top of my head. I'd really suggest only one of each cichlid species, as there's going to be hell to pay if you add two and end up with a pair. I've found cories to be hit or miss with Central American cichlids. I wouldn't do it. Maybe substitute with a small group of bristlemouth plecos or other mid-sized pleco species. Final stocking list: 1 female jack dempsey, 1 firemouth cichlid, 1 convict-cichlid like species (as described above), 1 rainbow cichlid, maybe a Nicaragua cichlid, and/or a salvini, to reach a total of 5-7 cichlids and some plecos.

The last one is tough. By African leaf fish, I'm assuming you're talking about Ctenopoma acutirostre, which would be fine. I wouldn't put any bichir in a four foot tank except maybe Polypterus polli , which is supposed to only get to 14" or so, but I know there are folks who'd disagree and say a senegal was fine in a 4' tank. If you keep the senegal bichir , I'd stop right there in anticipation of the ultimate size and waste load. If you drop it, I can think of three species of catfish that would do well in a small group: Synodontis polli, Synodontis petricola , and the true upside down catfish, Synodontis nigriventris . The problem with the last is other species that get much larger are often sold as upside-down catfish, so you really have to make sure you're getting the right species. The leaf fish wouldn't be tempted to take a shot at eating cichlids over 2.5"-3" or larger, so a pair of mid-sized cichlids a kribensis would work. You could up the tetras to 8-10. The butterfly fish are okay, though IMO they are one of the most boring fish I've ever owned. So the final stocking would look like this: 1 leaf fish, 5-6 catfish, 1pair of a cichlid species of 3-5", 2 or 3 butterflyfish, and 8-10 congo tetras.

All these options assume that you have a filtration rate of at least five times the volume of your tank per hour. Hope this helps,

WYite

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Some interesting mixes there. I wouldn't mix angels with any of those as suggested above.

Love corys, but I'd do more than 10. Problem is, if you've got other fish in with them that are aggressive eaters, they'll gobble most of the corys food.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've kept 6 angels in a 75g & 2 did pair up...but it wasn't great, the pair took 2/3rds of the tank, everyone else was forcefully kept in the remaining 1/3...No room for a festivum & my lone ram female wasn't too happy...& I didn't have corys at that time...All the fry were eaten or spit into the filter intake...

I also kept a pair of blue acaras & a pair of firemouths (no other fish). Like with the angels, the acaras took 2/3rds of the tank the fire mouths got 1/3, not terrible but not great either. Both pairs bred but no fry survived long...

I have no experience with bichirs or leaffish...I love corys!, but they don't understand cichlid territories, they just go on their catfishy way regardless...

So I don't have any good suggestions except a 75g is not as big as you think...Do you want a pair of any cichlids to breed? Fry to survive? An SA/CA cichlid community?

herp606

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
I have to share the tank with my brother. He really has his heart set on a native tank, or at least a tank native to the United States. My idea was to do a Louisiana swamp biotope with a mud turtle (captive bred) a few American flag killifish, a few golden topminnows, and a ton of least killifish. This is actually my first large indoor tank, and I have no experience with any of these fish but I'm doing my research. I doubt the mud turtle would be able to catch too many fish because they are super slow. I would also add some crawdads but those might get eaten by the turtle.

herp606

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Do you think I could do a tank with 2 green sunfish, a turtle, and some dace or would the sunfish just kill eachother and everthing else in the tank?

herp606

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Would two adult female sunfish (probably bluegills because they are easy to tell the sex) kill eachother in a 75 gallon?

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
I vote against the turtle, but that’s me :p Bluegills grow to be 12” long, how long is your 75 gallon? I’d say they’re aggressive, but have a read here:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store