760 watts on a 75g?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sregnar35

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
Hello, I recently upgraded my 75 gallon with better lights. I'm going from 260w power compacts to 760w power compacts and halides. Anyone have experience with this much light in a tank this size? I've already begun moving my coral lower in the tank, and I plan to short cycle the new lights when they arrive. Also, what sort of temperature issue will I have? Currently there are 4x65w pc's, I'll basically be adding 2x250w halides to that. The lights are in a pre-assembled strip with legs, so it will probably be about 4 inches from the surface of the water. My water is 77.5 and 76.5 at night.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I have (2) 250 watts over my 55g. I have fans, 3 seasons out of the year, that are set to turn on when the MHs come on. I do not use a glass top, and my canopy is open at the top and the back for the most part. On extremely hot days I compensate by using frozen bottles of water. However that is no more than a week for me. If it was more than that I'd consider a chiller.

I don't feel you'll have too much light for your 75, but you will want to account for evaporation running an open top with hotter lights. I use an auto top off system.

Oh, mine are kept 9" off the top of the water.

Sregnar35

Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
Thanks, I've always run with an open top (wow that sounds bad) and I'm already used to the evaporation. I live in upstate NY so we never get too too hot up here, my house is usually below 75 degrees even on the really hot days. I guess my concern now is the distance between the tank and the lights, and how my leather will do. The leather I have is huge and even if I put it on the substrate it will be only 3 or 4 inches from the water surface.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
That is a difficult situation. You will certainly want to acclimate it. However, the leathers can do just fine under halides so long as they are accustomed to it. I suggest maybe raising the fixture well above its intended position and maybe a shorter photoperiod as well.

Sregnar35

Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
I'll have to devise a way to elevate the new lights. My tank is in my wall, I actually had to cut some sheetrock back just to accomdate the new lights. Hopefully I can put some blocks under the legs of the new lights to jack them up a bit.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Well, if it is more difficult to raise them, try the "screen" method. Basically, you get a series of screens and shade out a decent portion of the light and, over weeks, you gradually remove those layers. Seems to work fairly well, if that is a better option for you.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Fiberglass window screens and pin them between a frame of pvc or wood that can be easily removed for alteration, etc. (or make multiple smaller frames, whichever is easier).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store