9wpg, which plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

taku

AC Members
Sep 25, 2005
I'm tearing down my 3 gallon reef (glass rimless JBL bowfront tank) and moving all the inhabitants back to my main reef tank and turning the 3gallon into a planted tank. I'm really interested in small compact growing plants but I'm concerned about lighting.

2 x 18w Current USA power compacts... 36watts total. Is that too much for HC and other small plants? Also my bulb configuration is one 10K bulb and another 50/50 (actinic and daylight 10k), is this ok or should I replace them with more 6500?

Also, any diy guidance for c02 build using a small bottle would be much appreciated! :)

Any nano planted tanks to show off? feel free to post them for my inspiration :D

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
wpg breaks down in smaller tanks so it actually wont be that much..
For bulbs i would go with both 10K, actinic does nothing in planted tank except build algae.

Small bottle of co2 wont really help with HC. HC likes alot of co2 and only way to deliver that will be with atleast a 2L on a tank like this. You can go smaller but you would have to change it up every week or 2.

Edit: Ninja'd by MG (so we meet again)

taku

AC Members
Sep 25, 2005
Excellent information both of you! My lights are individually controllable (for a dusk/dawn affect) so I can turn one of the 18w's off. I will replace the 50/50 with another 10k and try it. Also will try excel. I think I have an older bottle of flourish.. not sure if that's any good.

I'm not opposed to having a 2liter bottle for co2, I just incorrectly assumed a smaller tank wouldn't need as much. Is there a link for this diy co2 using a 2liter?

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Excellent information both of you! My lights are individually controllable (for a dusk/dawn affect) so I can turn one of the 18w's off. I will replace the 50/50 with another 10k and try it. Also will try excel. I think I have an older bottle of flourish.. not sure if that's any good.

I'm not opposed to having a 2liter bottle for co2, I just incorrectly assumed a smaller tank wouldn't need as much. Is there a link for this diy co2 using a 2liter?
Since your lights have 2 switches then you can do light bursts. have one light on for 6-8hrs and then the final 2hrs both lights..

Flourish will be good but HC likes other nutrients like NPK (nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium) so you will have to dose that as well. It also likes but isnt a MUST, nutrient rich substrate.

2L is fine on here. Remember HC is a very demanding plant. If you want it to grow and fill in nicely you would need to provide all those things..

Links for this diy co2.. you can either google or search on here diy co2.
But here are the co2 basics
http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#2

taku

AC Members
Sep 25, 2005
Thanks very much for the information about the HC! I am most interested in keeping this plant and I see it as a necessary to create a dramatic look in my little tank.

What sorts of nutrient rich substrate options should I be investigating?

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks very much for the information about the HC! I am most interested in keeping this plant and I see it as a necessary to create a dramatic look in my little tank.

What sorts of nutrient rich substrate options should I be investigating?
Well you can technically add root tabs to regular substrate and it might be fine but the fancy substrates contain other nutrients to help it kick start and grow fast.

Fancy substrates like
Flourite
Aquasoil
eco-complete

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
also, mixing pure laterite in with a neutral substrate will really help the root feeders.

9wpg holy crap though!

taku

AC Members
Sep 25, 2005
Thanks for the very informative information everyone!

Follow-up suggestions on plants in addition to HC that can withstand a lot of light and that will stay less than 6" tall?

luckydud13

Did you hear that?
Jun 20, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Yah what they said dont cook the plants

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store