A Cheap DIY "Python" - A Must-Have for Large Tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shierkahn

AC Members
Jul 30, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
I just GV my tank into the sump pump in the basement. Then fill in with a garden hose hooked up with my washer (of course I let it run into the sump first, in case some soap backed up into the hose). Works great for both my tanks.

cajinfry

Fishkeeper in the making
Jul 3, 2006
Texas
Not sure how the whole Python thing or anything you hook to your Potable drinking water source and insert that into your fish tank.... That would be a cross Connection from and unknow water source directly to the public water drinking supply which in most Citys is a violation of city code and ordinance. It should have some type of BackFlow Prevention valve and something that is directly connected like that should have 2 in case one fails the other will take over...... Just a thought to consider..... I know that city's do not come looking for things like this but remember you could possibly contaminate your houselines with undesirable water which could be accompanied by odor and bad taste.....

Chris

nimdabew

AC Members
Dec 20, 2007
when i did mine today, i was looking for something that wouldnt subtract usable space in my sink. what i came up with was a 2 way valve that you can hook up to your shower. it basically diverts water from your shower head to "another shower head" (in this case a female to male brass fitting with barbs on the other end). i have my shower marked where the temp is the same in my tank and my tub so i just pull the shower button on the bath faucet and it goes to the shower head and towards my tank. i also included a ball on/off switch in the line about 4 feet from the end of my syphon tube so i can stop the water in and out of my tank in about 2 seconds. all together with the brass fittings and tube and the expensive shower head adaptor, it was about 50 dollars. just make sure you get the ID numbers correct for all of the brass fittings and you are good to go

PIC-0064.jpg

lousybreed

Aquaria Central Site Controller
Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
I have a stupid rental property so I can't make my dream setup but this is what I have been doing. Siphon into a bucket, put my little 500gpm pump in there, attach garden hose. direct water to plants outside that need watering. start the pump up and rock and roll...still have to fill the tank via buckets but not too bad!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store