A Day in the Life of Your LFS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

sky.eyes.woman

I'd rather be in Hockeytown!
Dec 6, 2004
Greenville, SC
Wow...this sounds a lot like my day too! I guess the lady who wants to pack 10 goldfish in a 5 gallon tank decided not to come in this day? But the very smart and nice kid that looks like he's all of 9 years old was in helping me find the right stuff for the couple buying their kids a hamster...I offered him a job today! :D

maaltan

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
Good article.

I understand the plight of the small business owner. A family member owns a store and we get "appointed" to all kinds of tasks. I am also the primary custom framer and we get lots of those quizzers. mostly its like "ok you want a triple mat for your 20x24 picture with that 3 inch wide frame. ok the estimate for that is ... $250." they go "my god your ripping me off" and then go to michael's and pay 3x as much for a ****ty job. i mean 1/4 inch overcuts is obscene.

Worst one so far has threatened to "expose" us for such high prices. the sad thing was she already made the order, agreed to price, allowed us to finish it, and then complained over the final price even though it was $10 less than estimate. She wanted her picture de-mounted and returned to her. Threatened to involve the cops. she eventually relented and paid threating to smear our name.

as for my habits, I am sometimes guilty of not buying. I enjoy just looking most of the times, future ideas, etc just enjoying what I can't afford or keep properly (LFS had a $300 fish with some wierd name i can spell or pronounce. it was hypnotic. colors rippling saying buy meee buy mee...). When im bored I just go out to the local walmart's junk isle and try to think of macgyver type uses for things there. (like can i use this plastic grating in some sort of aquarium filter,etc) This unfortunately fits the MO of a shoplifter also. I have been stalked by the "walmart greeter" at times but i wouldn't steal unless i had already been convicted of the crime (in todays america very possible, ie RIAA,etc).

Sometimes it takes me forever to make a decision. I try not to consume the time of employees, but somehow i feel my continued presence is somehow in the way since most of the time i don't buy something. I usually hang around the big stores because of this try to purchase from small stores.

well enough ranting and appologizing. good post. May it open the eyes of a thousand devil customers, ease your work, and prolong your happiness into the next plane of existance.

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
Lobo. said:
is there going to be a part #2 or are you too buisy picking up fish at the airport?
:joke:
Ditto. Would love to see more of this.

Don't you just love a good story? Especially when it's real life?

FisheyLisa

Fish-a-roni
Nov 2, 2004
CT
AWSOME! I have been wanting to read something like this for a long time. I am apprenticing at a music repair shop, inpreparation to start my own business. I totally can identify with the customers. My dad has his own business, so I can relate to the work end of it...his hours are a bit less drastic in the machining field.

I like the "quizzers". I know I try and ask as many questions I can think of, but it is usually for a second opinion. Then I get too many opinions and don't know which way is up.

Thanks for taking the time to write this article, it is very good information to know and I enjoyed your writing.

Lisa

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I will never ask another question unless I'm reeeely going to buy something. A lot of times, when asked, "do you need help with something". I'll ask something just to make conversation as not to be rude. But I guess if I'm just looking, I should say "no, just looking" Thanks for the good read. And don't work too hard.

Jerm

Hehe!! A fishy!! and a rolly guy!!
Sep 26, 2005
Rouses Point NY
I think i would enjoy that lol, i love LFS's, yet i curse my own 29 gallon tank because of its poor ability to be fitted for a good light system that can be put on it. (i'll find you eventually!!!) Why does no one have 29 gallon tanks? I think we got this 1 at Wal-Mart (go figure) ugh.. well, their is another post for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store