A good algae eater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Further to what Nursie and Galaxie advised:

Not only do they have different temperature requirements, but they also require different food.

The pleco will either starve to death or start sucking on the goldfish's slime coat (as Nursie pointed out) and kill it. Seriously. Anything you throw in the tank, the goldfish will eat. Algae wafers, veggies, it doesn't matter. The goldfish will eat it before the pleco can get anything decent in his stomach.

A scrub brush is good for algae, snails are good for algae.

Roan

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
Roan Art said:
A scrub brush is good for algae, snails are good for algae.

Roan
I have a small Mag-Float too. Gotta love these things... takes less than 10 minutes to do my whole 55g tank.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Galaxie said:
I have a small Mag-Float too. Gotta love these things... takes less than 10 minutes to do my whole 55g tank.
Yep! I love them, too, but 'ware the children!

Never never never never leave them on the tank with small children around. Even if you say DO NOT TOUCH! they cannot resist because they are so cool.

Connor's new 65g is scratched all to hoopla because he decided to clean his tank (against my previous instructions. He was SUPPOSED to be taking a nap!) and had a piece of Flourite stuck in the magnet :(

Well, it's not scratched THAT bad, just that it's a new tank and all and I find it depressing that it's scratched already. He could have at least waited a few months before ruining it. KIDS! :D

Roan

tomdkat

Da Man
Nov 29, 2005
So then manual scrubbing and snails are the best options for algae control in a coldwater aquarium?

Peace...

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
Gumby131 said:
well i settled on a school of albinpo corys and pepperd corys
Corys aren't algae eaters. They are just bottom feeders and they like a nice meaty diet.

hobie237

So my girlfriend got me into fish..
Nov 1, 2005
Newark, DE (u of del)
Galaxie said:
Corys aren't algae eaters. They are just bottom feeders and they like a nice meaty diet.

He may see a small reduction in algae after the cories eat the food scraps and whatnot, starving out some of the algae. However, a snail would likely be a wonderful addition to his tank.

hobie237

So my girlfriend got me into fish..
Nov 1, 2005
Newark, DE (u of del)
Gumby131 said:
well ive heard snail turn out like a plague, is it ok if i only have 1?

Depends on the snail. We have what I believe are apple snails, which are large yellow snails. We got the type that lay eggs, so we could remove the eggs and not end up with 50,000 snails, but they havent even laid any eggs yet. Pond snails,on the other hand, end up everywhere.

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
A clump of anacharis would help keep algae at a minimum.

In my 10g, I have so much anacharis I think its keeping the java fern and other plants from growing though! But...I don't have any algae.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store