A happy surprise but a surprise nonetheless!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
Bummer :(

I have a gourami who appears to have been injured or have a birth defect. Didn't notice until I got her home, but I didn't mind at first because she seemed feisty and healthy. 6 weeks later, I almost lost her though, due to a similar wasting away/not eating/starving to death. I was very happy to figure out this week that although she refuses to eat flake, bottom feeder tablets, algae wafers, live elodea, frozen mysis shrimp, assorted veggies, and crushed tadpole snails, she WILL eat frozen bloodworms. My next resort was going to be live brine shrimp, so I have some of those grown up I'm going to try too. But after only two days of bloodworms, she looks fine again. Crazy fish! Especially because the other two gouramis won't touch the bloodworms. I think what happened is that she used to live on live tubifex in my tank and snail eggs. I think the tubifex had totally run out maybe even a couple weeks ago and I'm not overfeeding as much, so less snail eggs. And even though there was a wide variety of other food available, she would apparently rather starve to death. Until bloodworms. Weird! I guess my point being if your new puffers are similarly picky then keep trying different stuff, you may be surprised!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Yeah definitely. I tried a few different foods but unfortunately I can't find live food for the life of me here. I got the little guy to much thawed bloodworms twice but after that nothing. I don't know of the other male was running him off or what because a couple times when I was trying to tweezer feed it looked like the little dude was scoping the worm out but then the big guy noticed and ran him off so there could have been some aggression issues =( that's why I'm gonna try and get females to finish stocking the puffers and everyone knows I love breeding so ya never know XD

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
That sucks. IME once they get to the stage where they won't eat its just a matter of time. Sorry dude. Unfortunately these little guys are pretty prone to this.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
That sucks. IME once they get to the stage where they won't eat its just a matter of time. Sorry dude. Unfortunately these little guys are pretty prone to this.
Thanks for the kind words. Yeah I've had the same experience with a few fish from the LFS. An Oto, this guy, and a few others. Always within a week of getting home. =/ Just all stressed from being caught, shipped, transferred to different tanks (not to mention the delivery guy for my LFS likes to bang the boxes around like there's nothing but wood in them. I cringe every time I'm there when they get their shipment) hopefully I can find someone with some females for sale. You know any good hookups for that?

Sent from my Droid Incredible using the Monster Aquaria Network app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store