Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. We Have a NEW CHAT!!!!
    Dismiss Notice

A problem with tankmates

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by jaymekelley, Feb 5, 2017.

1. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Sheila
    Friday at 12:50 PM
    Sheila
    Plecos do not eat poop. There are some that need algae, some that need meaty foods--but none that will survive without supplemental feeding. Most all of them will produce massive amounts of waste, as well.

I would not advise adding any more fish to your tank until you remove the inhabitants you aren't keeping.

2. jaymekelley

jaymekelley AC Members

Thursday at 2:45 PM
    Hey, the jack Dempsey's aren't African, if I remember right, right? My husband is wanting to trade the Africans for ps4 games for the kids, but that means I get to keep the sa/cas

Frank Castle likes this.
  3. Frank Castle

Frank Castle AC Members

58 minutes ago
    Just make your life easy and get rid of the 3 African cichlids. The Ropefish and Peacock eel will be fine with the Jack Dempseys and Convicts. I have kept these combos before. and i currently have 11 tanks of SA/CA cichlids - about to be 12, plus 30 years experience. Don't waste your life keeping African cichlids lol

Your best bet for feeding Plecos is slice a small zucchini in half and rubberband it to a small rock and sink it in the tank. Other fish will eat it as well.

4. jaymekelley

jaymekelley AC Members

Thursday at 2:45 PM
    Okay, that's what hubby decided to do anyway. I didn't argue when he told me. He's really only concerned about the convict, and I suggested we let all of the other ones be sold and just keep her, the ropefish, the peacock, and maybe get a male convict to keep with her. But I think he wants to put my dragon fish (2) in there. I think there's enough tank space, but they are needing to go brackish, so I'm trying to explain to him that that won't work long-term in a freshwater tank.

5. Frank Castle

Frank Castle AC Members

58 minutes ago
    no, just keep the Convict female alone and the 2 Jack Dempseys will be enough of a handful. They will get too big for the tank eventually, but it will take years to happen. You DON'T want a pair of Convicts.....they will over-run the entire tank and kill everything that comes near them. ONE CONVICT LOLOLOL, no pairs.

So let me get this straight - you will be keeping 5 fish total?