AAAUUUGGHHH!!! Pretty Much Wiped Out My Tank's Inhabitants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Unome

Love to Ride Our H-D
Apr 23, 2002
Ellenwood, GA
We've had tanks for over 10 years now. We used to have a 75, 68 & 55 but have downsized to a 29 since we've moved.

So last week I'm changing filter sponges - Fluval 204 - on the tank we have. I must have picked up a cloth with some cleaning chemicals on it or something. Shortly after changing the sponges & doing the partial, I notice a lot of the fish are swimming on the top(not a good sign). :uhoh:

Before it was all over, I lost everything except for 3 Diamond Tetras, 1 Pristella, 2 Cherry Barbs, 2 Albino & 3 Green Cories. :cry: :wall:

I've been doing partials for past few days to try & stabilize the system. Everyone is still living but you can tell they're not happy. I told the wife I'm setting some rags aside just for the tanks ONLY.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
That sucks, man. Use this opportunity to start over and make it even better than before.

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
sorry to hear that! have you added some carbon to help try and remove the toxins?

Unome

Love to Ride Our H-D
Apr 23, 2002
Ellenwood, GA
I told wife if everything died, we would redesign the whole tank & maybe go to guppies(which she likes). I am using carbon to help out. I've done 4 changes this week so far and thinking about stopping & letting them recover. Or should I do a couple of changes to be safe?

On an up side, she mentioned getting me a larger tank for Christmas. But I'm going to wait a few more months and maybe if she still feels that way, try to talk her into a tank in the 75 - 125 range. :grinyes: I have about 20 plants in the 29 with 2 pieces of driftwood(which I've had for YEARS). We also have a couple of Fluval 304s in a box. I could use them for filtration and just get more plants.

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
My guess is that your water changes have probably pulled whatever chems were in there back down to safe levels, especially if the die offs have stopped.

However, I would still keep up with them. Whatever nuked your fish probably also nuked your biofiltration. Keep a close eye on your parameters like you were restarting a cycle and keep up with the WCs if necessary.

Unome

Love to Ride Our H-D
Apr 23, 2002
Ellenwood, GA
Thanks for the sympathy & advice folks. This is one reason I haven't committed to saltwater yet. If I had lost 5 - 10 saltwater fish costing $100 or more, then I would be having a fish fry that night.

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
Saltwater isn't as bad as some make it out to be.
I just started my first tank and yes I have lost some fish costing ~$50 each.
So far I am really enjoying it and I have learned so much since starting my tank.
The important thing with salt is to get a plan ahead of time, be patient and stick with it.
As long as you don't make any impulsive moves, you should be good to go.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
The important thing with salt is to get a plan ahead of time, be patient and stick with it.
As long as you don't make any impulsive moves, you should be good to go.
^ That and don't buy expensive fish. :rofl:

I swear sometimes it seems like the higher the pricetag the more likely the fish will die of simple stress. A $3 damsel could survive anything. Many of the $100+ fish seem to die if you look at them the wrong way.

The trick with saltwater though is that you don't have as many fish. In a 29g you may only have a few fish so it isn't as bad as it seems, price wise, if something goes wrong.

Good idea on the setting aside rags. Also you may want to consider labeling any containers you use with the tank. Haven't run into the problem myself but I have heard of people using the wrong bucket or jug for something and nuking a tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store