Absolute Disaster.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pearl

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
Michigan
Real Name
Vicki
My neighbor had a 125 gallon plexiglass tank that cracked a week after she set it up. Fortunately, there were no fish in the tank.

jschall

AC Members
Aug 14, 2009
woah electrical fire (almost) are there any fancy devices to possibly avoid that (other than a high ledge and that retarded loop because now im a little freaked :eek:
You want a ground fault circuit interrupter, abbreviated GFCI or GFI.

Basically, in a working electrical device, ALL the electrical current goes through the hot and neutral lines (the two flat blade pins on the plug.) What a GFCI does is detect any difference in the power going through the two, so if any electricity is being conducted to the ground pin (round one at the bottom) or through a person to the ground, it instantly shuts off the power.
So, your power strip gets submerged in water, the current flows from the blade pins to the ground pin, the gfci detects that and shuts off the power.
You touch a live wire, current flows through you to the ground, the gfci detects that and shuts off the power.
You drop a toaster in the bathtub, the electricity flows through the water to the drain pipe to the ground and the GFCI shuts off the power.

You almost certainly have one in your bathroom. It's the outlet with the test and reset buttons on it. You can get a plug-in one that turns a regular socket into a GFCI one. They are ESSENTIAL for aquarium safety.

Buy one at lowes or another hardware store. They cost $12 and could save your house or your life.

clb2196

AC Members
Feb 21, 2009
Mass
Aw geez. :( My 29 gallon crackd too, but luckily it got worse gradually enough that I had time to run out and buy a new tank (in the hour or so I was gone the waterline lowered about 2 inches). And this was a BioCube, sitting on the stand designed specifically for it!

I'm glad you managed to save so many inhabitants.

barbuto

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Fort Lee, NJ
Good luck with whatever you choose to do. I vote get another 29gal though....or this could be a perfect excuse for an upgrade?

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
Ugh, that's horrible. I believe glass fish tanks over 10 gallons are meant to be place on an aquarium stand in which the edges only touch the stand. You see, the bottom of the tank is tempered glass and expands and contracts so if it is on a solid surface there is a chance it will crack if not able to expand and contract.
Really great that you got a refund though!

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
sorry to hear of your ordeal - I can imagine it was a horror! may i ask where the crack originated?

I have a bow front tank also but on it's made for wooden stand. I always worry about the same thing - crack!!

lucky you both were home. good luck!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
oh my lordy, i would go (insert expletive here) insane if that happened to me! good to hear you saved the fish and you have a new tank and didn't let one bad experience ruin it for you.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
hrm.. I've only heard of that problem with the first production Red Sea Max 250's

theredchaser

AC Members
Aug 8, 2008
Be sure to place some foam/newspaper/towel under the tank when setting up when you convince him of getting a new tank. It helps even out the weight across the glass floor. I've only heard of this kind of thing happening on bigger tanks though... Possible manufacturer's defect?

allecb

AC Members
Feb 6, 2008
if my 55 gallon knocked over, or just cracked and leaked all of the water, i'd just run...run far far farrrrrrr away to a different state LOL. i wouldnt know where to start with the clean up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store