AC 500 killing my fish left and right

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rdelbalso

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
Boulder, CO
Visit site
I just started a 55 gal tank with an ac500 filter and have had some significant problems with it killing my fish. At first I thought my fish were jumping out of the tank, then I saw a white cloud in the filter box and a pearl danio stuck in the intake. I realized they were too small for the filter so I returned them and bought giant danios instead thinking they would be big enough to avoid the perils of the filter. I turned on the light this morning to be horrified that one of my giant danios had been killed by being sucked to the filter intake. Is this normal with an AC500 or is something seriously wrong? How can I stop this from happening? I was planning on moving my angels to this tank after cycling and now I am not going to risk it, but then what can I do with this tank?
Please help!!

Panic

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
Fleetwood, NY
Visit site
Two suggestions...First the obvious, turn down the flow on the AC500 to the lowest possible. Second, put a sponge on the intake to the AC500, this will also reduce flow plus give the fishies more of a fighting chance at escaping the filter.

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
i would get in contact with the manufactorers of this filter and explain your problems to them. they will probably be more than happy to help, and will almost certainly have suggestions for you as they would have probably have heard of this happening before if it is a general thing.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
your fish shouldn't be getign stuck to the intake. They should be able to out swim the current if they are healthy. I would be suspicious that your fish might be sick, since you jsut got them. And are weakened so they can get away from teh flow.

I have An AC 500 with cardinals and they swim by it all the time without gettign stuck.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I agree with valerie. The only time I've ever seen a fish sucked up to the intake was when the fish was either still fry sized, or sickly. Healthy fish can avoid the intake easily.

rdelbalso

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
Boulder, CO
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I just emailed the manufacturer and hopefully they will respond soon. The fish were put in the tank yesterday afternoon. They actually seem very healthy. Currently its just 6 er 5 giant danios. Actually my first email was not entirely accurate. I looked at the tank this morning with 6 healthy fish and an hour later one was dead. This is my third tank and I honestly think it is not the fish and there is something wrong with the filter. It is sucking way harder than it should. I have it turned to the lowest setting and have virtually no change in pressure. I hope to hear from the manufacturer soon.
Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store