acclimating corals to MH

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
so soon enough i'll be moving everything from my 37g over to my 75g. my current lighting in the 37g is 4x39w T5's. the lighting on the 75g will be 2x250 MH with 4x54w T5's. i was thinking to start with i could just run the T5's and turn the MH's on just for 2 hours, maybe 1 in the morning and 1 later on..? then over a few weeks increase the amnt of time the halides are on? i really don't have any idea what to do but the light will not be suspended so raising and lowering wouldn't be the easiest. i also am not willing to go running out and buying a bunch of screens cause im already buggin about how much this upgrade is costing! i don't want to shock anything too bad, im expecially worried about my nem, i don't want it freaking out on me! i suppose i could prop the legs of the light up but i also want it to be safe and that's making me nervous just thinking about it...

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Have to ask, how high off the tank are you planning on placing the light? I have been told that a 250w MH needs to be 12" from the tank.

The light schedule sounds good, although I would think running it 2 consecutive hours instead of 1+1 would be ok, and much better on the light bulbs.

Anyway you can get 2 10K T5 bulbs and run those with 2 Actinics? Then run the MHs for just 1 hours the first few days.. then 1 1/2.. etc.. changing every 6-7 days. When you get up to 6 hours you can switch out the 10k's back to Actnics. 420 Super Actinics REALLY make the corals POP compared to the stock 460s.

Just an idea. I don't have experience with MH on fish tanks myself yet, just T5HO's.

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
aww scooter did i babble in my post? no it's not hanging it will be on legs.
you know ace i hadn't even thought of the fact that all 4 T5's were actinics...
i sure hope it doesn't have to be 12" off the top cause there's no way the mounting legs are 12"... this is an acrylic tank not that it should matter at all...

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Ya, I had originally though MHs needed to be 8" off the tank then I asked my LFS that I trust and he stated 250's need to be a min of 12" or else you will fry the corals. Something about to much UV light from the MHs burning the corals if they are too close. This is just what I was told though.. so take it for what its worth. I would definately like to hear other opinions as well.

You seen my blog salty, that one pic of the zoas was taken under 420's. They normally do not look like that under day light, but once the dusk/dawn setting kicks in to just actinic mode, they really shine.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Ya, just pointing out there are different actinics. 460nm is the normal ones that comes with lights and are the usual replacement. They have 420nm ones now that make 460s look dull. Wasn't sure if you knew that or not. :)

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Actually, I have a good photo to show the difference. You can't see the 420 to the eye as much as the 460, it is more towards a black light spectrum, but it makes the zoas florece very brightly.

460 Actinic

420 Actinic

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Since your lights are on legs, you'll probably want to use a reduced photo period and suppliment the tank with some florecent lighting for the rest of the time. I'd start with a couple of hours and gradually increase it until you hit 8 hours a day. I'd up it like 30 minutes a day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store