ACF breeding too soon?!?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mizty1974

Registered Member
Oct 5, 2015
I have two albino African clawed frogs that are about 4 months old in one tank, and they are both females. they have the characteristic pear shape and are pretty big and round, but they keep displaying mating signs (latching on and grabbing each other) so, I questioned whether the one on top might actually be a male, so I moved him/her to my other tank that I KNOW has my only male frog (as he is the same age, but much more slender as the males should be) and the minute I put them together the male latched on and didn't let go for two whole days! I haven't seen any eggs or anything, but I'm thinking that they are too young to breed and I'm wondering if I need to separate them, because when I moved the female/male (I'm still not really sure which she is, even though she looks female) back to her original tank and she immediately latched onto my other female!! I'm afraid that one will wind up drowning the other, because they won't let go until the eggs are laid if I'm understanding everything I've read about them. So, to separate or not to separate, that is the question, or do I just leave them alone and let them do their thing? Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
It might be best to separate them from the lonely male if he is constantly harassing her with breeding attempts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store