Ack! Plants came before tank/equipment!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

moonlitvision

Registered Member
Jan 14, 2006
Ordered a set of three young java ferns, with the intention that they'd show up a little after my tank and heater. However, the merchant took too long processing the order, and it's not due to show up for at least a week. Meanwhile, the java ferns arrived today, and I have no idea how to keep them alive until then. I thought of just getting room temp water, floating the bags, and keeping them there for a while, but I am a newbie and fear doing the wrong thing. Help! Time truly is of the essence!

Quartermain

From the deepest darkest abyss
Jan 10, 2005
Keep them damp, keep them warm, and they should be fine. I've kept anubias in a zip lock bag wrapped in wet newspaper for about two weeks without a problem. Most of it not all varieties of microsorum are very hearty. I have microsorum pteropsus "windeløv" and despite my best efforts at neglect and mistreatment I can't seem to kill this plant. I can't guarantee anything but I think it will be fine.

Mysteria

AC Members
Nov 4, 2005
Calgary, Alberta
That happened to me once too. I bought a bunch of riccia and a good light hood online and the riccia came before the lights. Unfortunately, the riccia already had been without light for a week and it ended up dying before the light ever came. :(

Fortunately, Java Ferns do well in low light and might be okay until the equipment comes.

Onikun

AC Members
Jun 25, 2005
just get a clear container of some sort. glass, jug, rubbermaid, anything and fill with dechlorinated water. put the java fern in and leave it by the window. it wont die.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
not underwater

Actually, just bag the plants in clear plastic bags with a half cup of water, no more needed. Puff up with air, put in a well lit room but not direct sunlight. They will be fine for months and months. I have several bags like this in the sunroom, java fern on wood that won't fit the tanks I have now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store