Acrylic DIY fry tank, with glue gun

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
wouldnt it had been just as easy to use weld on to bond the pieces together instead of hot glue and it wouldnt come apart?

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
if anything I would have used clear silicone.... but with my glue gun project was done in less than 30mins, no curing using tubes, no mess.

Yes it might fall apart but the parts are all there to put back together. If i have to build it again I'll use silicone though

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
nice lil project!

i never knew that the type of glue used in glue guns was safe for aquarium use. good to know.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
What's hot glue made of, anyway? I had thought about using it in place of silicone for some applications, then backed off when I couldn't find anything anywhere about the chemical composition of the stuff.

It certainly seems to be intert enough once cooled, but.....? Anybody know?

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
This is an excellent idear and glad you shared. I would like to build a small one similar for my Oto fry.

I didn't think silicone adhered well to plexi.

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Hot Glue is low temp Plastic. Mostly clear It is kind of foggy just like clear silicone. It will not "melt" in water.

I used it some time ago when I wanted to build a Paludarium and It would "stick' to the glass ... :wall: .

Gatta laugh at that one.

Best wishes.
Wes

Last edited:

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
silicone and acrylic/plexi doesnt work it will come apart. pick up some weld on at the hardware store and problem solved.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store