Advice please; Tank mate for Betta in specific 5.1g setup.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BrianGr

Registered Member
Aug 4, 2016
Hello,

I'm a new member and would appreciate some advice on a tank mate or two for a restless Betta in a specific 5.1 gallon tank setup. I'll first point out that I've read the new member stickies and also used the search in a few ways to see if there's been any previous inquiries on this matter. My last point is that while I'm nothing more than an amateur/novice (whichever is is the peon of the aquarium world), I'm not uneducated in the matter.

I will include a photo of my tank to give a visual representation of my setup. My tank is as follows, an Aquean 5.1 Gallon with a 3 to 10 gallon heater than keeps that water at a steady 76 degrees F. I have three Marimo moss balls in the tank, two are roughly 1" and one is roughly 4". There are four artificial plants in the tank, all of them plastic, one with silk purple leaves. I have standard colored gravel as a substrate and a decorative, cavernous centerpiece made from molded sand ( I smoothed the edges and inside out thoroughly in case the Betta decided to utilize that piece).

Including the spacial displacement of the filter and all previously mentioned items the actual water content is 4.5 gallons. The current inhabitants are a Zebra Snail (which will be leaving and donated to one of my favorite local pet stores.) and the aforementioned Betta. Either the snail or the silk plant appear to cause a slimy film on top of the water despite proper tank maintenance. I've never owned either nor have I any knowledge of either of their impact on a small heated tank. The snail is a complete pain to feed seeing as I keep a clean tank and won't sacrifice the health of my Betta by using an algae tablet for one snail, in a small heated tank, in a room with two skylights.

I went against my better judgment and brought home a blue crown-tail Betta. He acts like a caged lion, rapidly darting at the front of the tank all day. I would prefer a tank mate that mostly stays on the bottom of the tank or prefers a sheltered environment (so as not to cause competition for floating foods), and will not be aggressive toward my Betta. I would also prefer a diurnal fish if possible so as not to disturb my Betta since he's refused to used any of the four leaf hammocks provided despite their locations in the tank (taking different water turbulence into account so as to satisfy any preference he might have) and sleeps on the bottom of the tank.

I realize all of this might make it an impossible task and despite my growing attachment to Kon-Iro in the end I might need to give him to a friend of mine that knows more about Betta fish than I do to keep him satisfied and less restless/agitated.

Please, any advice at all would be appreciated. Thanks.

*edit~ forgot to add picture*

20160804_102512 (1024x753).jpg

Last edited:

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Bettas generally leave bottom dwellers alone. But given the small size of the tank you would have to be very selective as to what you choose. In a rare case your betta may be aggressive enough to not allow anything else to be added, which is a possibility given his described behaviors.

Perhaps one of the smallest corydoris species, or khulie loaches.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
As for the snail, algae tablets can always be broken into appropriately sized pieces to feed one snail, and the betta will likely nibble on it as well. But it sounds like you've got your mind set on rehoming him.

As for tank mates, I wouldn't really recommend anything for the size of tank you have. It sounds like you have an active betta that may be a little aggressive, even if you had the space, I have a feeling he'd pick on anything you add. On the other hand, if you're not bothered by him maybe eating some juveniles, you could always add red cherry shrimp. They'll eat algae and uneaten fish food, though they should occasionally be fed something meant for them, will reproduce quite a bit (betta will be good population control), and won't bother the betta. Hunting them will give him something to engage mentally in and keep him busy.

In regards to the film on the tank, how long has the tank been set up?

I honestly, don't think there is really anything wrong with your setup that is resulting in behavioural problems, furthermore I don't see this as a behavioural problem. Its just a fish being active, all individuals are different.

BrianGr

Registered Member
Aug 4, 2016
Bettas generally leave bottom dwellers alone. But given the small size of the tank you would have to be very selective as to what you choose. In a rare case your betta may be aggressive enough to not allow anything else to be added, which is a possibility given his described behaviors.

Perhaps one of the smallest corydoris species, or khulie loaches.
I thought of a small cory but I've seen even the smaller one's get large enough to easily over crowd my small tank. I will look into the loach recommendation though, thank you!

BrianGr

Registered Member
Aug 4, 2016
As for the snail, algae tablets can always be broken into appropriately sized pieces to feed one snail, and the betta will likely nibble on it as well. But it sounds like you've got your mind set on rehoming him.

As for tank mates, I wouldn't really recommend anything for the size of tank you have. It sounds like you have an active betta that may be a little aggressive, even if you had the space, I have a feeling he'd pick on anything you add. On the other hand, if you're not bothered by him maybe eating some juveniles, you could always add red cherry shrimp. They'll eat algae and uneaten fish food, though they should occasionally be fed something meant for them, will reproduce quite a bit (betta will be good population control), and won't bother the betta. Hunting them will give him something to engage mentally in and keep him busy.

In regards to the film on the tank, how long has the tank been set up?

I honestly, don't think there is really anything wrong with your setup that is resulting in behavioural problems, furthermore I don't see this as a behavioural problem. Its just a fish being active, all individuals are different.
I honestly didn't think of a few shrimp, a maximum of three due to the size of my tank, do you agree? The adults would be safe and if they do reproduce the Betta would have a nice supplement of healthy natural proteins.

I cycled my tank through July 3rd to July 5th, after which it became inhabited. Before the setup everything was soaked, scrubbed (no cleaners, just water and a new soft bristle tooth brush) and rinsed thoroughly. The substrate was treated twice (no cleaners, soaked, rinsed, sifted, floating particulates removed) and added immediately to the tank. The same with the tank and every component included or purchased. The film showed about two days after bringing the snail home but that was only five days after my Betta was there I don't know if it caused the film, I've always removed uneaten food after two minutes and don't over feed my Betta or snail (as far as I am aware).

I assumed some type of regular motion from another fish might be a healthy distraction for him but I could just be projecting the human emotion of loneliness on normal Betta behavior.

Have you ever owned a silk plant and if so did it ever cause any sort of problems in a tank you've owned? Also I really appreciate the idea of cherry shrimp, I'll see if they can live healthy in a heated tank. I'll also see if they can feed on the Marimo along with the sinking pellet food I have to have both a protein and plant based diet.

Thanks!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
You could add much more than three RCS, they have such minimal bioload. They thrive at temps around 72 F from what I remember, but can easily go as high as 80 F according to most people. In my experience, above 78 they don't do too well though, shorter life spans basically.

I've never had any issues with silk plants creating a film on the water.

Have you tested your water? After only a month, I'd bet you are still in the cycling process, but with such a small bioload, you're probably not seeing too much ammonia, but a film on the surface can occur. Also, since you likely have minimal surface agitation due to providing a low turbulence environment for the betta, that could be the reason. I doubt its harmful, just kind of gross. You could add an airstone for some surface agitation and that wold probably get rid of it.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I thought of a small cory but I've seen even the smaller one's get large enough to easily over crowd my small tank. I will look into the loach recommendation though, thank you!
Corydoras pygmaeus, Corydoras hastatus and Corydoras habrosus all top out at an inch in length. If anything a khulie loach would be larger as an adult than these.

BrianGr

Registered Member
Aug 4, 2016
I'll look into both those species and the cherry shrimp to see which would best thrive in my current tank. After reading about the cherry shrimp though it turns out the marimo moss is actually one of the recommended plant food sources for them. They just might be the ideal tank mates.

Also after asking a friend of mine about taking the snail off my hands and talking about my Betta he mentioned that adding a small air pump and one of those plastic backdrops can give my Betta the illusion of a larger environment and might give it the stimulation he needs to stop pacing near the front like a caged lion.

On top of all this he recommended notching out some teeth into the spill lip of my filter to help with the slimy film as well as replacing the manufacturers filter with one you make yourself using the plastic frame of the one I have.

Between all of his advice and the advice I've received here the first steps are to gift my snail, clean up my tank and then finally decide which tank mate to choose.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Corydoras pygmaeus, Corydoras hastatus and Corydoras habrosus all top out at an inch in length. If anything a khulie loach would be larger as an adult than these.
Of the 3 I would only consider C. Habrosus to be bottom dwelling, the other 2 seem to be more center swimming.

Cherry shrimplets would not likely survive, but if you'd be OK with them being Betta snacks, you could definitely do that

MarchHare

AC Members
Jul 10, 2016
Hi Brian.
I'm just back to fish keeping and have a similar set-up as you. Only different furniture.
I did have some small experience with Bettas when I lived in Florida.
Each has a distinct personality and I appreciate that you are trying to see that he is comfortable.
I too have a light slick (oil?) at the top of my tank. Does not seem to hurt anything. May be the price of having slow water movement, which Bettas prefer.
You may think about replacing the silk plants that are in your tank with live ones. A Java plant or two would work very well and don't require a lot of light.
I Installed Cobamba, Java Moss, a Java plant and a moss ball. Pulled out the fake plants.
I would think twice putting shrimp in with your Betta.
I had a tank with ghost shrimp and thought it might be a good idea to integrate some of them with the Betta. Which I did. And I became his best friend forever. (LOL)
Also tried two Golden Mystery Snails. They wound up in the shrimp tank after Brutus ate their little antennae.
Of course your experience may differ. Just be ready with a net.
Good luck.
March...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store