African cichlids, angels, discus same tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I've heard you shouldn't mix Angels and Discus because Angels carry certain parasites in their gut that can be released into the water which can have an adverse affect on Discus. Whether it's true or not, I'm not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
:huh: Well, that helped...I think....

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Discus are slow eaters, they'll likely starve with much competition. I guess it may depend on what "Africans" you mean. My only, very brief, try was 1 Johannii with Dempsies, firemouths & acaras. They have a kind of "opposite" body language that doesn't translate, well & krebensis with those same central americans. An expensive experiment at best, just get another tank or 2 like the rest of us that want to keep diverse incompatible species.

Last edited:

Sethman94

AC Members
Sep 11, 2013
NC
Real Name
Seth
Oscars are not African Cichlids and Discus aren't even in the equation in your tank Seth. Apples and oranges here.
I agree with everyone in that this is not something that I would even consider attempting.
I didn't say they were Africans I was giving an example. But that's cool man. You're too smart.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
The point here was that your tank with Oscars and Angels living together (without issue), is very different than a tank housing African Cichlids, Angels and Discus together. Angels and Discus alone could easily work, but adding Africans to the mix (like Mbuna or Tangs), things could get ugly very quickly for the Discus and Angels. With the prices that most Discus command, this just isn't a very smart thing to do. Glad you agree with me there.

Sethman94

AC Members
Sep 11, 2013
NC
Real Name
Seth
The point here was that your tank with Oscars and Angels living together (without issue), is very different than a tank housing African Cichlids, Angels and Discus together. Angels and Discus alone could easily work, but adding Africans to the mix (like Mbuna or Tangs), things could get ugly very quickly for the Discus and Angels. With the prices that most Discus command, this just isn't a very smart thing to do. Glad you agree with me there.
You should be a fish expert, you're too smart

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Thanks Seth, much appreciated. Seriously though, why the sarcasm? It's unnecessary. We're all adults here, right? Discuss the topic on hand or simply refrain from posting.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
My two cents, you will end up with some really expensive dead fish and some africans on the war path.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
If it's CA or SA cichlids yes, not Africans. I made this mistake myself with angels so this is coming 100% from experience.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store