African Clawed Frog

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Betelgeuse

AC Members
May 14, 2019
Hi,

I have been worried about my African Clawed Frog. He is almost a year old & I have had him in his 10 gallon tank since August. The tank seems cloudy to me. I ordered a water test kit to make sure the water is okay & should receive it today. It’s been cloudy for almost a week & I’ve done about 3 partial water changes this week in attempt to clear it up. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I’m considering getting him a 15 gallon tank since stretched out he’s about the size of my hand. I’d also like suggestion for proper transfer/set up.

I love him I hope he will be okay and live a long long time.

Thanks for any help in advance.

- Krystine & Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse

AC Members
May 14, 2019
Yes! I don’t keep the light on but it makes it easier to see. He’s been hiding a lot & I see him hanging out with his head above the water sometimes.

It’s a TopFin 10 gallon tank. I’m using the filter that came with it.

Thanks for responding!

6BB84EA1-2309-4AD4-BDE7-FA7A96F30B9D.jpeg

0D92BAD2-0581-4532-80B1-7BFCE7496AD3.jpeg

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
What is the water temperature? It seems like a bacterial bloom to me, this is not necessarily dangerous but he is not happy in your set up. Does he even still fit in that fake log? Are those plants silk or plastic?
If you want to provide a good home for him get small gravel (±2-3mm), this will provide a place for nitrifying bacteria as well as for him to get some grip and root around in. The lights are tiny, but get some live plants, at least some floating plants like frogbit or water sprite. The plants will keep the water cleaner and he will feel more secure. Also ... who is the owner and who is the frog?

Betelgeuse

AC Members
May 14, 2019
Betelgeuse is the frog. I read that they typically destroy live plants which is why I didn’t get them. His rock/plant decoration is made of both plastic and silk, he hangs out under the soft leaves in the back. He does fit in the log, I saw him in there earlier today but I have another artificial coral decoration I could put in there. I did not want to crowd the tank though since he’s grown so much. The water is room temp about 70 degrees.

I used to have moss balls in his tank but they were eventually ruined while vacuuming. Do you think they were helping to maintain the water previously?

I definitely want him to be in the right set up let me know what you suggest!

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I am a bit concerned that the plastic plant could harm him. For aquatic plants look for Anubias and Guppy grass. Floating plants frogbit and water sprite for example. If the moss was growing it did something, but it goes very slow. For substrate use coarse sand or fine gravel <2mm. 1/2" thick is enough. Once he has cover from plants he will get out more.
Since they can get 6" and 25 years old, he'd appreciate a larger tank as well.

What are the exact results of the test?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Nitrates are very high indeed, you need to do water changes. If you did 3 water changes the past week it must have been even higher...
Keep doing waterchanges, every day 20 to 25% to bring it down. Also test your tap water for the level. How much did you ordinarily change?
Plants will also use nitrates to grow, so that along with more water changes and a larger tank will get Betelgeuse a more stable and comfortable environment.

Reactions: OrionGirl
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store