African dwarf frog keeps floating up

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cornreaper

Registered Member
Oct 31, 2007
Hello all, I've been lurking for a while and now I actually have a question. I have had a 5g tank for about 7 months now in which I currently have 2 ADFs, the second being a new addition within the past 3 weeks. She's been doing great up until the last couple of days, where it seems to be a struggle for her to stay on the bottom. She fights to stay down but seems to keep rising to the top, trying to hide under leaves to stop her ascent. Then she'll get tired and float right on the surface before trying again. The thing is that she has lots of energy and still has a voracious appetite, so illness doesn't seem to be a factor. Any ideas as to what's causing this???

riddle4sphinx

AC Members
Jul 19, 2006
Illinois
What are you feeding them? I don't know if frogs are the same as fish when it comes to this, but perhaps it has swallowed some air?

cornreaper

Registered Member
Oct 31, 2007
I feed them pellets and frozen bloodworms. Well, she was on the bottom tonight, as if nothing was wrong.....just weird!

sm100378

Sep 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I have three of them and they do it all....sink, float, swim laps. I feed them blood worms from the canister (room temp).

SM

barthur33

AC Members
May 1, 2006
central indiana
And I've noticed that the younger the frog, the more they tend to do this. With time, they learn the amount of air to keep in their lungs, therefore avoiding this. But that's all it is. She's taken a lungfull of air, and just hasn't learned to expel the right amount yet.

PufferFan

AC Members
Jul 15, 2006
i just got two adf's and they seem to float sink swim crawl everything... i was concerned when i first saw one struggling to stay down then i noticed a bubble leaving his mouth and he sank to the bottom.

Spikor

[insert witty title here]
Feb 15, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Ummm...so I read this before and I tried not to panic but my ADF has been struggling for nearly a week. He's given up staying low and just hides under a surface floating leaf. I've had them do the other type of floating and then they get better and all is well so I assumed that everything would be ok. does anyone know of a disease that could cause this?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store