African dwarf frogs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jdluvr

Registered Member
Jan 9, 2021
Hello. Im considering getting a small tank exclusively for a couple of frogs. Im completely new to aquariums of any sort and would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

I do have a couple of specific questions. I plan on getting 2 frogs for now. What size tank would optimal for that? When I browsing the pet store they said a 1 gallon would be enough for one frog but that didn't sound right. Would a 5 gallon be enough?

I've seen a lot of mixed information about filtration. Would it be best to have a filtration system or just clean and change out the water more frequently? Also what would be the best way to keep the water properly heated?

I think snails are really interesting and would like to have some at some point but I've heard mixed things about having them with the frogs. I wouldn't want to have anything the frogs would eat.

Thank you in advance. Seriously any information would be great. I love the idea of having these frogs but I really want to make sure I have a great environment set up for them and want to take proper care of them.

Jdluvr

Registered Member
Jan 9, 2021
Another question. What would be the best subtrate? I read that small gravel shouldn't be used but would larger gravel be ok? Or would sand be best?

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I kept mine in a 15 gallon with a Betta. Definitely want some type of gravel and a filter. If you don’t mind the sound of an air pump you could do a sponge filter.
the important thing is to make sure it’s not a deep tank because they come to the surface for air, not continuous but they do.

Sentoki

Registered Member
Feb 10, 2021
Real Name
Tarynn
Thanks for this, I was wondering the same. I am getting a betta and want to get a few ADFs, two or three. I also felt the 1gal per frog was a bit stingy. I have also seen that 2gal per frog will do it but I think it’s always better to upsize if possible! I think your 5gal would be just fine for two frogs.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Thanks for this, I was wondering the same. I am getting a betta and want to get a few ADFs, two or three. I also felt the 1gal per frog was a bit stingy. I have also seen that 2gal per frog will do it but I think it’s always better to upsize if possible! I think your 5gal would be just fine for two frogs.
No, 10 gallon for like 4 frogs. They should be alone so they dont get stressed by other fish in the tank and they will be more active.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store