African Violet Closed Terrarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ukfan1976

AC Members
Feb 23, 2014
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jeremy
Hey again :)

I figured since I was bored I'd post a few pics of my closed terrarium I set up about a week ago. This set-up was super cheap. In fact I bought all of the materials except the plants at WalMart. I used some brown aquarium gravel for the bottom substrate for drainage ($4), a layer of activated charcoal (got a jar of it in the fish section) ($5), a peat moss/perlite mixture (garden section) ($2), and a glass cookie jar (kitchen section) ($6).

I then went to Armstrong Nursey here in San Diego and bought a few African Violets, and I picked up some dried Sheet Moss at PetCo (in the terrarium/reptile section).

As I said before the pics are around a week old. The sheet moss has perked up from its dried state and according to the packaging should grow. The Violets seem to love their humid environment :) I thought I may have added too much Distilled Water so I left the lid off a few days. Now it fogs up during the day with the sun and clears up at nite. I think it has a good balance now. Does anyone with more experience than me see anything that needs improved? Does it still look too damp? I don't want to kill the violets or have fungus grow.

Thanks!

01 African Violet - Feb 24, 2014.jpg 02 African Violet - Feb 24, 2014.jpg 03 African Violet - Feb 24, 2014.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store