Africans vs. South Americans

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lansirill

Mathemagician
Jun 14, 2007
Washington, DC
They both have winter during the wrong time of year (that goes for you too Australians) but other than that what are the big differences? I'm pretty sure I'm going with SA Cichlids as I have an angel and a pair of keyholes that would otherwise need a home just for themselves, but before I put the final nail in the coffin I'd like to know what the differences are. As far as I can tell (other than water requirements, which while important, aren't a very interesting way to choose fish) the big differences are that SAs tend to be larger, aggression ranging from quite peaceful to absolute terrors, and a little less colorful, while the Africans tend to be smaller, more colorful, and more or less aggressive little *******s. Does either group display more interesting behavior than the other? Does either group tend to take more interest in what's going on outside of the tank? Does either group have a bit more 'Wow, you actually have some of those?' cred? Does, er, either group throw better parties? I'm kindof out of questions I suppose.

(For efficiencies sake, I'm looking at sevs, geos, and (peaceful) acaras to go with my angel and keyholes. Seems like it should be an interesting tank, although not really a biotope tank.)

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
What size is this tank?

I have had both. Really, I couldn't say which I liked better as they were all wonderful fish.

The Africans were way more colorful, and I got many compliments on them, they were very nice to watch...and IME more aggressive then my SA are. I believe I have an odd bunch though as everything I read on them say they are all aggressive fish. The SA pay way more attention to me then my African ever did, as soon as I walk in the room they are at the front of the tank swimming back and forth at me. They are much larger then my Africans since I have a Oscar, JDs, RD/midas and a RD...in a different tank I have sevs which are beautiful.

I think the mix you were looking at, would look nice together. I am not trying to discourage you from the Africans, cause I love em and miss mine...but if you already have SAs, unless you are wanting to set up a new tank, I would say stick with them.:)

sg1

AC Members
Dec 23, 2007
Why choose? Keep em both, like the poster before me Ive got mixed communities. This is what I keep

125G tank

Central/South American
Red Devil
2 Jack Dempsies
Green Terror
3 Convicts

African/Mbuna
Ive got 13 of em in there all different kinds

Other:
Black Shark
RTBS Shark
Leperinus

I also have a smaller tank a 20G I use to grow my smaller guys before they go into the big tank:

Baby Red Devil (will end up in the big tank)
2 Baby Frontosa's (Will end up in the big tank)
3 Tiger Barbs
2 Glass Fish

I couldnt choose either, so I chose both! Plus a few others:)

nickmcmechan

Proudly Scottish
Feb 25, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
like the previous 2 i have both and experience exactly the same as lady g

the only differential is that, imo, the min tank size for sa tends to be around 50g for most, whereas for africans the min tank size is around 75g

now, that is a generalism as there are noteable exceptions, such as sa dwarfs and malawi shell dwellers, however whats your size of tank?

Lansirill

Mathemagician
Jun 14, 2007
Washington, DC
I'll probably be starting with a 55G and upgrading to a 75G (maybe bigger, depends on how the money is then) in a year or so if (when) I need the extra space. I might go straight to the 75, but I need to see how much more that will run me and how much of a hassle it would be. especially since I think I would need to have the 75 delivered.

I thought about mixing things up a bit, Africans and SA, assuming I stuck to hardy species that really won't care too much about the water conditions other than being clean, but I like the idea of having something a bit more (for lack of a better word) themed. I thought about going so far as to do Discus, Uaru, and Angels since they all occur together in nature, but I decided it would be -way- too much work and that with my current level of experience I'd probably be just as likely to kill the fish as not. I might try a peacock (they're pretty and hardy) but I think I'd rather stick to a single type.

If the SAs pay more attention to the outside of the tank then I'm definitely going to go that way. I've been wanting an Oscar because they're supposed to be so personable (I know an Oscar probably won't mix with my Angel or Keyholes) but, hey, if I can get that with some other fish I can be all Mission Accomplished. Sevs seem like a fairly good substitute.

Thanks. :)

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
I have had a blast with Tanganyikan Africans. Many of the smaller, Mbuna-sized Tangs are quite peaceful when compared to Malawi fish. They require less fish density to keep a peaceful balance, so there's not as much paring down of the roster as fish grow larger. There are many different niches that can share the same system: schoolers, mid and bottom fish, mouth-brooders, substrate spawners, and shell dwellers. Brichardi form groups in which the offspring of different generations will all care for the young together. Endearing trait. IME, if you keep Malawi Africans, you generally keep Mbuna or Aulonocara ( and or Haps ), but not the 2 together. With South Americans, there are many small, colorful fish that display great personalities. I prefer communities, and my favorites right now are the eartheaters of the Geophagus family.
They also make for an interesting contrast of biotopes if landscaped naturally. You can have a moderatley to heavily planted SA biotope, and then a rocky, reef style African tank. Either can make an awesome display, put my vote would be for Tangs over Malawis as far as Africans go.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
Mbuna are very attentive to their owners. Watching the swarm of fish rush up to the top of a fully stocked 75 gallon is great. They will eat out of your hand, as will SA's. They're fairly even in owner-interaction. Peacocks are less personable, though many will eat from your hand.
Africans and South Americans come from extreme differences in water chemistry for the most part. Many SA cichlids come from very soft, acidic water, whereas most Africans hail from bodies of water that are very hard, with a PH of 8.0+. I would advise against mixing the two. SAs also have a way of backing down in a confrontation that to an African looks like a challenge. They're incompatible in their behavior as well.

soonerfan121

AC Members
Feb 25, 2008
springfield,mo
I have a SA tank and they are very personable. They come to the front of the tank anytime I walk into the room. They eat out of my hand and will even let you touch them in the tank. While they can be aggressive if you raise them from juveniles together there is less fighting going on. I would highly recommend SA fish they are wonderful and the right mix is very colorful too. Hope this helps

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
Just want to clarify...I do not have both kinds in the same tank. Right now all I have are SA cichlids, but I have had Africans in the past, and will be setting up another soon.

Yeah, I forgot to mention how they will eat out of my hands! I love my SA!! They really are fun. Although a 55-75 may limit your choices..it would be good for the Sevs you were talking about but most likely just a pair if you have the Angels in there with them. Really you will not be able to keep much more then that in a 55 or 75 IMO. I can't say much about the Geos, since I have never kept them (although once my Pacu is gone, I may be looking into one).

I'd like to also add, if looking into the SAs, no Oscars, RD, Midas, Green devils...in the tank that size especially with the Angels.

I do think a pair of Sevs would be fine though...of coarse this is just my opinion.

Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store