Agassiz's dwarf cichlid questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
I noticed them at my work.I guess they are double red ones whatever that means.
I want them a pair.Now the question is tank mates.
I have bolivion rams and german blues
also own congo tetras and other semi agressive tetras.
All my ten tanks are heavly plantedand I think would make good homes for them.
But I know nothing other than the profile here at AC.

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
I wouldn't. I don't think there's enough space for all the fish to create and defend territories. There'd be blood on the sand pretty soon.

Marcus

AC Members
Oct 14, 1998
WVC, UT, USA
I have to agree with Faramir. For such small fish they have decidedly nasty dispositions. A single pair or pehaps a trio of one of the above mentioned species might do OK in a 29 gallon tank. Adding a second species would definitely create friction that would result in death. Most likely the Apistos would knock off the Microgeophagus as the Apistos are more aggressive.

I tried keeping a pair each of A. sp. 'Papagei' and A. bitaeniata 'Rio Pistaza' together in a 40 gallon tank and dang near lost the male bitaeniata as the male Papagei would not let up on him. Considering both fish were only 1 1/2" at the time I was amazed that 40 gallons was not enough for these two to get along. The females of both species simply hid at all times and were severly harrassed when they did show themselves. A quick bite to eat and then it was back in the plants and rocks.

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
OH I'm glad I asked you guys.
Planning on another big show tank soon so I will put off the fish till then and rethink the tankmates:)
Any sugestions on a small cichlid that would go well in a planted tank with the stock I listed above.

Scooter

AC Members
Jun 5, 2001
Knoxvegas, TN
Visit site
I agree with both Faramir and Marcus. I don't think I'd try to keep the A. agassizi with the rams in a tank less than 40g. unless it was a 33 long and you had plenty of cover (wood, rocks, caves, etc).

I think you could keep L. dorsigera in with the Rams without much problem. They are dwarves with a mild temperament. I've got a lone male in a tank right now with a pair of A. gibbiceps and a pair of A. cacatouides and he pretty much minds his own business. However, I've taken great pains to make the tank inhabitable by all. Of course, like most cichlids, Apistos have their own personality so you could always be unlucky and get a belligerent pair of a relative docile species.

Maybe Z Man will read this and give you his advice too. He's probably got as much experience with Apistos as anyone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store