Aggressive Cherry Barbs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BoredAgain

Cubs in '10
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
They really do appreciate plants...real is better but they could also use fake. When my male is chasing the females, they will always seek shelter in the plants until they finally lose him.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
i have 2 males and 4 females and no issues. The females hide out in the moss when the males are being amorous and the males chase each other and leave the other fish alone (tetras, cories, and gourami). I would be tempted to try all teh adults together in the larger tank and add some plants or decoration for cover (just saw you have plants in there).

Ulan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
adding more males with just make things worse.. more females will give them extra distraction but this will also lead to more breeding.. putting them in the bigger tank and or giving them more hiding places will also help
For some aggressive species, you have to offer them something to direct their aggression to. If there are only females to harass, they will do that. And, as I said, my combination of more males than females seems to work fine with this species. These are no guppies, where sex trumps aggression. Here, it's the other way round.

BoredAgain

Cubs in '10
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
Yeah, just throw them all together in the 65G, the size of the tank coupled with more live plants should really help minimize aggression within the group and give other species more room and cover also.

BTW, I love my cherry barbs...I have 1 male and 2 females currently. The male is my little red terror and was my first fish in 15 years.

NickD

AC Members
May 2, 2008
Maryland, USA
Just moved all the adult barbs to the 65g. The guppies are already out and about. They're now nipping at each other.

Now to move some neon tetras to the 20g.

I do plan on getting a few more harlequin rasboras. Just haven't been able to find any recently.

jjbtexas

AC Members
May 11, 2008
Houston Texas
they need to be in a school, i'd go at least 3 males and 5-7 females. this way they will be able to establish a pecking order amongst them selves and still be happy. they will also stop harassing the other fish.

NickD

AC Members
May 2, 2008
Maryland, USA
Now that I've evicted the adult barbs from the 20g I'm finding more stuff. I have, not 2, but at least 4 barb fry. They're not as afraid to come out now as they were before. I wasn't even trying to breed them. I thought staying away from livebearers (except for those guppy males) would help me avoid babies. I guess not. I hope there aren't too many more.

NickD

AC Members
May 2, 2008
Maryland, USA
Just thought I'd post an update.

Since putting all the cherry barbs together things are much more peaceful, so far at least. The barbs no longer are harassing each other or the other species. It's possible this is only temporary. We'll just have to wait and see.

The fish in the small tank are much happier now that there are no barbs there harassing them. They are moving about the tank now. Before, they would spend most of their time trying to stay away from the male barb.

emptywallet

another youngling who is clueless
Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
i think my lfs hormones the cherry barb water because they have a "male" cherry barb tank and all of them are so red

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store