Aggressive diamond tetra, help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishie boy

AC Members
Nov 5, 2019
Hi all,

I got several diamond tetras a couple weeks ago, and they gelled really well and settled right in. After a couple days there was an obvious dominant fish. Things escalated pretty quickly to fin nipping and being very territorial, to the point that the other fish were only allowed next to the glass. I thought this was just the fish adjusting and working out the peking order, but it hasn’t subsided. I plan on taking the fish back to my LFS, but im not able to until the weekend after next. The aggressive fish is currently in a breeding net, but im not sure how long he can be left in there? Does anyone known the safe amount of time he can be in there? are there any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks

Apr 2, 2002
New York
With schooling fish numbers tend to blunt aggression. This is also true for the rift lake cichlids where keepers will often stock heavily for this purpose. When there are more fish involved. it gets harder for an aggressive fish to keep its focus on a specific individual. With the schoolers you will see more of this behavior the larger the group.

It would help to know the size of your tank and what is in it, both fish-wise and decor-wise.

Reactions: fishorama

Fishie boy

AC Members
Nov 5, 2019
With schooling fish numbers tend to blunt aggression. This is also true for the rift lake cichlids where keepers will often stock heavily for this purpose. When there are more fish involved. it gets harder for an aggressive fish to keep its focus on a specific individual. With the schoolers you will see more of this behavior the larger the group.

It would help to know the size of your tank and what is in it, both fish-wise and decor-wise.
I have a group of six, with a dwarf gourami and a Cory in a 20G. There are some shrimp and snails as well. The tank has two pieces of wood and is planted

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store