AH Supply CF questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CRfishlover

Serial Lurker
Jan 16, 2002
Castle Rock, Colorado
I am in the planning stage for a 75 Gallon planted and have pretty much decided on a 4x55W kit from AH Supply.

What are people's experience with these kits?
Do they fit in a regular strip light or do you need a (wider) twin tube strip light in order for them to fit?
Do two 55w kits fit in one 48" strip?
Do you recommend to fit the 4x55w kit in two 48" strips and would this fit easy enough on the tank?
Or do you recommend no strips and mount the whole kit and kaboodle directly in the canopy?

Please advice. Thanks!

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
I bought myself a 4x55watt kit for my 70 gallon tank. Works like a charm. Two 55 watt bulbs put end to end will cover a 75 gallon tank's length perfectly. Order the DIY plans (they're for free). The plans are pretty handy when it comes to building your own hood. I am all thumbs when it comes to DIYing, but I did manage to build a pretty decent hood. The customer service at AHsupply was excellent, and I will not hesitate to buy another kit from them if the need arises.

HTH
-Richer

Javelin

AC Members
Oct 19, 2001
Falls Church, VA
www.GUIcheese.com
I have a 2x55 kit on my 29 and love it. If I did it again though, I'd get two 1x55's so I could stagger the lights on and off, keeping the tank lit longer without algae problems. You might want to think about getting two 2x55's.

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
4x55watt kit is basically two 2x55 kits. It comes with two ballasts (and thus two power cords) and is cheaper than getting two individual 2x55 kits =)

-Richer

CRfishlover

Serial Lurker
Jan 16, 2002
Castle Rock, Colorado
For those of you who have mounted the AH Supply kits (or other brands or that matter) on the inside of a canopy with lid: How do you avoid going blind when opening the lid?

Would a switch similar to a refrigerator light switch, mounted on the inside of the canopy, but wired the reverse way, work? i.e. lid closed, lights on, lid open, lights out?

Anybody ever try this?

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
ahsupply uses fulham ballasts. either the workhorse 5 or the workhorse 7 depending on what kit you buy.

I, as well as many others, prefer VHOs over CFs. It is pretty much a personal thing, neither has any big advantages over the other.

you may want to look into T5 fluorescents. There reasonably new to the market and i know of only one online place that sells them. they come in 46.5" bulb lengths and in 6500K. each bulb is 54 watts. Because of their design they do have advantages over VHO and CFs. the bulbs will last longer, not loose output as quick, put out more light per watt, and are cheaper than CFs.

I have a 2x54 watt T5 kit and to me it seems it is as bright as the 4x55 watt CF kit i had before. Thats less electricity being used, less heat, and fewer bulbs to replace.

HTH

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
You want the reflectors:)
BTW add a 2x13w kit with blue bulbs for night viewing:cool: Whats the extra 20 bucks gona hurt.

Have had great luck the three times I've ordered through them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store