Air bubbles on my live rock?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Trac2

AC Members
Jan 21, 2005
NY
I'm new to this Reef stuff. I bought myself a 90 gal tank for my Osar and was talked into turning it into a Reef tank. I have about 100 pounds of ove live rock and all over the tops of them are tiny little air bubbles. My question is Why??? I have had this tank up and running since Nov. This is the first time I have noticed some many bubbles. Any info will help. Thanx Jennifer

FL Knifemaker

Arming the Free World
Oct 20, 2004
Central FL
First, welcome to AC!!! I was once a NYer also but but after many, many years I've become a Florida native ;)

My LR produces some bubbles, usually only visible on the undersides or on areas out of the current. My powerheads would blow anything else away. Do you have plenty of circulation in that 90???

Trac2

AC Members
Jan 21, 2005
NY
hello, thanx for your help. Your question on circulation,well I have the Amiracle maxi reef wet-dry filter with a 950 gph pondmaster magnetic drive utility pump and inside my sump is a Excalibur venturi Skimmer SV1. Inside my tank is a maxi-jet 1200 powerhead. Is that circulation enough? A lady at work that talked me into doing all this came one day and set me up. I just had to pay the bill!! ( and I thought my camera hobby was costly!!) She has been real good to me and has been putting up with all my question but I'm afraid I may burn her out! So when I found this website and found that there are more people out there that are in the same boat I am. I was happy to know that there are more people I can bug about my tank. I think Colleen will be a little relieved to hear that I don't have to come to her for every thing.:)

My Tank
90 gal
Wet-Dry filter
Excalibur Venturi Skimmer
800 Rio
950 pondmaster utility pump
maxi-jet 1200 powerhead
2 96w quad smart Paq
10,000k and 460NM actinic side by side
powercampact electronic ballast
fan-comair rotron
100 pounds of live rock
live sand
Tank family
Authelia
Crown Leather
3 Trochus snails
Green featherduster
Scooter Blenny male
Condy Amemones (1 white w/purple tips and 1 orange w/white tentaclesw/ purple tips)
Brittle Starfish
Marron Clownfish
Blue damsel
Crab

Last edited:

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Cyanobacteria (red slime algae) and dinoflagellates (brownish-looking film algae) will both produce bubbles on their surfaces as they photoshynthesize. Do you get more bubbles when the lights are on?

Trac2

AC Members
Jan 21, 2005
NY
Yes by the end of the day there are more bubbles then when I first turn on the lights. Also there is hairy algae growing on the tank in the back. What kind of snail/clean up crew should I get?
Thanx
jennifer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store